cd tin cache question

I've been considering using a CD tin as a container, but have not seen one actually in use for caching. They'd rust if exposed to water, so would need to be sealed with a rust-proof spray or something similar. I have one I've primed, painted and brushed with a water-based varnish, but it got stuck when I closed it up. I managed to pry it open and sanded the portions that meet together. I am now able to open and close it by pulling up at one corner, but my beta tester couldn't open it (I don't think he really tried icon_rolleyes.gif).

So my question:

Has anyone run across an AOL cd tin used as a cache container, that they *could not* get open? Or one that was rusted and nasty? Or a nice one inside a ziploc that wasn't rusted?

Any observations regarding these containers IN THE FIELD will be helpful. I don't want to put something out that will potentially be icky and irritating to finders.

Thanks

Even when I've gotten there I don't know where I am.

See this one for a similar cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=16084

It was in pretty good shape when I first visited, but seems to have gone downhill. This type may just need more frequent maintenance.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I would answer that with another question; why?

There's so many great little containers out there, why go though all the trouble? icon_confused.gif

(Plus I severly dislike AOL)

They are thinner than anything I can think of. but you could still get a small logbook in it.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

I used one for a cache. It's pretty well protected from the elements, but some rust is still coming through the paint. I didn't rust-proof it; I'll have to go back and do that. It was perfect for the hiding location. I superglued a magnet from a craft store -- a small, round, metallic one -- to the inside. It holds nicely to its mounting, even with a stash of coins and a notebook inside.

I initially had the same trouble with opening it after I painted it. I opened and closed it a few times to loosen it up, and none of the 10+ finders has yet complained about opening it, or about the rust spots.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut.

An AOL tin (& Altoids, etc...) can work in an area that is not exposed to rain or snow. This rules out most sites so the AOL tins are, generally speaking, not the best choice. I did find one very interesting cache placed in an AOL tin, but it was in the summer, in a dry area. I don't think it will survive the rainy season.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I thought of using the tins, but I found it more trouble than its worth.

If you are interested in a good cheap (free) micro container that is reasonably waterproof, why not go with a 35mm film canister?

You can get these for free at any big film processing business. Where I live, there is a large photography supply business that has a big bin (actually a large garbage can) in the lobby filled to the top with used canisters of various colors. The kind that the lid seals inside the bottom piece are pretty weather-proof. I have glued magnets to them with good success also.

Check it out.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.