What should a geocache icon look like?

htimsda

If you mean a waypoint symbol, Garmin already has one. It looks like a little treasure chest. When I find a cache, I change the icon to "Geocache Found" which is a treasure chest with the lid opened. Keeps me from navigating twice to the same waypoint in areas where there are multiple caches.

I'm guessing that you either use a Magellan GPS, or haven't discovered all the waypoint symbols available on your Garmin.

Jeremy's new maps will also use the treasure chest symbol, so it's become a convention.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Jeremy's new maps will also use the treasure chest symbol, so it's become a convention.

Awww icon_frown.gif I actually like the blue and orange icon, so much that I use that in MS Streets & Trips 2001 to mark my unfound cache waypoints icon_smile.gif Which is no small feat, since S&T 2001 "doesn't support" custom icons icon_eek.gif

Toot toot toot...

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

If you mean a _waypoint symbol_, Garmin already has one...

Some of the Garmin units do not have the geocaching icons. I use the 'geocache' icons for the caches I've saved to mapsource, but my 3+ does not support these. Therefore, I just use random icons that I probably won't need. I was using the 'mine' icon for a while.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I think Garmin should have a waypoint symbol for geocaching (like the new Chest symbol), however I use one that makes finding the cache easier for me. I use the symbol with the circled X. When I'm within 10 meters on my GarminXL (which does not indicate feet), I switch to using the map. I position the little diamond that indicates my position over the waypoint symbol. When I'm right at 0.0 exactly, the waypoint symbol disappears, otherwise a bit of circle shows. (Note: I don't have a triangle-arrow like some folks do on their GPSrs.)

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I always pictured the geocaching icon as about 6'5" tall, 215lbs, dark brown hair, brown eyes and a little facial hair.

george

I think I'm gonna _PUKE_

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I forgot the blue suit.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I always pictured the geocaching icon as about 6'5" tall, 215lbs, dark brown hair, brown eyes and a little facial hair.

george

I think I'm gonna _PUKE_

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Somehow your signature seems more appropriate than ever now....Of course, it probably changes the meaning a little..... icon_eek.gif

65614_200.gif