tips for first multi-cache

xyzabc

Hi Everyone. I'm a relatively new caches (3 finds, 2 hidden) and want to hide my first multi-cache.

My plan if for a 3 or 4 stage multi where the seeker has to get the co-ords at each location to get to the final location.

Any help will be greatly appreicated.

TJWilson

Gander NF

http://205.251.182.49/gaga My caching page

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

There are a lot of techiques and tips ... but the number one thing you can do ... even after all your planning and layout work ... once it's complete and before you post it ... run through it once ... using only what you've laid out for the hunter to use. That way you'll quickly see if you've missed something or transposed a number ... you'd be surprised at what can happen even to the experienced cacher!

348_2702.gif

Remember that you should do things in reverse when planning it. First find your final spot - get the coordinates. Then go to your penultimate spot and find something that can be used as a clue (if the earlier spots are virtuals), or find where you're going to place the marker or box.

It just makes everything easier if you work in reverse.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

The previous recommendations were all very good. Also, if the intermediate elements in your multicache are of the micro variety, don't hide them so well that they are very difficult to find, especially if your multicache involves a long hike through a scenic area ... allow finders to spend most of their time experiencing the surroundings. Reserve your real challenge for the final/main cache.

Also, try to arrange the stages of the cache so that you at some point you start working back towards the starting point. Having the longest leg of a multicache being the hike back to the car can be a bit of a let down, especially if it's over terrain one has already covered.

I was thinking using little plastic sheets with the info for the next leg on it. The sheets would be about 4" by 3" or so, but I don't know how I would get the letering on them. I guess I could get some of that sign material left over from a shop in a town a short drive away. Any other suggestions on what to use?

TJWilson

Gander NF

But theres no where in town that does laminating that I know of. I can do some checking. There was a shop here that did business card sized pieces for $11 CDN a few years ago. 3 cards @ $11 is to much for me to spend, but I will consideer it if I can find a store with cheaper prices.

TJWilson

Gander NF

Another thing that works if you absolutely can't get it laminated, and provides some measure of waterproofing (but obviously not as good as "real" lamination) is to put clear self-adhesive shelf paper on both sides and let it overlap the edges. Make sure you smooth out any bubbles, especially near the edges where water might work its way in. Again, this isn't perfectly waterproof, so it might require a bit more maintenance and you can't put the cards underwater, but it might be good enough.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson1:

I was thinking using little plastic sheets with the info for the next leg on it. The sheets would be about 4" by 3" or so, but I don't know how I would get the letering on them. I guess I could get some of that sign material left over from a shop in a town a short drive away. Any other suggestions on what to use?

Around here there are several multi-caches that use fluorescent surveyor's tape tied around trees. Co-ords of the next leg are written on the tape in permenent marker. This seems to hold up fairly well.

For something really permanent, look here. The orange marker in the photo is a short piece of angle iron with one long edge hammered into a crack in the rock. It would take a crowbar to pry it out. This marker is harder to see than the photo would lead you to believe. You have to be on your hands and knees, near a cliff edge, in order to see it.

A multi I visited this past weekend, Federal Hill GC2EEF, had co-ords painted on the underside of the steps of a fire tower. The ranger on duty seemed to have no problem with this and was delighted when a pair of cachers volunteered fill a couple trash bags with litter that had accumulated near the tower during the off season

You can get sheets of laminating stuff from office supply stores or Walmart-woolworth type stores.

Sheets come in packs vary in size from Business card cover to full page. I thought it would be good to put the co-ords to the next waypoint on a Business card (blank ones can also be purchased) Laminate it then place in film canister or whatever small container you decide to use.

Peregrinus

For intermediate stage markers, this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18815

uses those concrete "donuts" that you put around sprinkler heads to protect them from the lawn mower, etc...painted with camoflage paint.

This is a very time consuming cache, because you don't know exactly where the markers are going to be...all you have to go on is a bearing. icon_smile.gif It's quite a challenge.

For intermediate stage markers, this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18815

uses those concrete "donuts" that you put around sprinkler heads to protect them from the lawn mower, etc...painted with camoflage paint.

This is a very time consuming cache, because you don't know exactly where the markers are going to be...all you have to go on is a bearing. icon_smile.gif It's quite a challenge.

When doing a multi cach, its best if you place in reverse. The cache first, then your intermdeiate caches. It's a nice idea to have the cache soemwhere near the starting point, so you don't have to walk far to service it. Then you can send people all over the place with your other coordinates.

I have a multi, where the cache itself is in a nice spot, 50 yards from a road. But the other legs send the cache hunter around a scenic lake for a 3 mile hike. If I need to check on the cache, it's very easy.

For the earlier legs I have the coordinates printed on the back of a sized down Geocaching letter. I laminated them and they are in tiny

Rubbermaid containers.

I picked up the laminator at Staples for $70 and since, have discovered a lot of uses for it, beyond laminating geocach letters. They also sell self stick laminating sheets, which may work as well.