Geocaching and GMRS/FRS Radios

While visiting Sonora, Ca. We hit a couple of caches along the way. Once we got home and logged our finds a fellow cacher e-mailed us saying that he thought he was following us because he saw our geocaching.com sticker in the window of our car. It turned out to be someone who planted one of the caches we found.

Anyway he mentioned that when he saw our Geosticker he tried to reach us on channel 1 of his GMRS radio,but gave up cause we didn;t respond.Is there something we're missing?

We carry GMRS radios when we travel and use them alot, but turn them off in the car.

Do geocachers try to reach each other on there GMRS radios if they recognize them as geocachers?

I know it's a little unrelated, but does anyone have any comments on the Motorola T5720 (AA batteries) GMRS/FRS units?

I can get the pair for $40 and was wondering if I should look for something better or are these decent units?

Or if someone has a link to reviews of this and similar units, that would be great too!

Thanks,

David

I own more than 5 different brands and models, and although I don't recommend the supersmall units, I really haven't noticed a huge difference in performance between brands. So I am really more interested in features and functions. Can I lock the channel? Is it easy/comfortable to wear? Is it easy for my young kids to wear? (who usually don't wear a belt). I prefer the belt loop attachable kind.

I have one were the vol control is a large knob on top, so it's easy to brush against something and accidently turn it down.

etc, etc.

On the whole, I've been happy with the Motorola models and personally wouldn't spend more than $20 each. For just FRS, the Uniden eco trek 440 has been my favorite.

[This message was edited by TeamX40 on September 22, 2003 at 06:44 AM.]