Official Geocaching FRS Channel Part 2

mrcpu

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I have a pair of Cobras, a pair of Talkabouts and a pair of Talkabout Distance DPS. No compatibility problems other than the Cobras will not page the talkabouts. But sub-tones are the same.

When you say the sub tones are the same, are you checking the frequencies or are you relying on the number, like "subtone 22"?

If the latter, then THIS LINK MAY HELP.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by NetDep:

I can either hope this thread concludes and we adpot Ch. 12 as the "official" channel or I can continue to carry three radios with one each on channels 2, 10 and 12.

Unofficially, by looking at the poll results, we will have 2 as the main channel and 12 as a backup in case 2 is too busy on a given day in an area. A very small group of us talked about this subject Monday night in chat and concluded that this was the vote of the majority.

mrcpu has emailed Jeremy in hopes that this will be officially posted on the geocaching.com web site so that all (or at least all that read it) will know the channel to use.

Money doesn't grow on trees, but there is cache in the woods.

Hi all!

For reasons outlined in the discussion in the Canadian side, I have suggested Channel 4. This is due to many channels, including 12, being used by high-power licensed entities in Canada. The clear channels in Canada are 3,4,5,9,10,11. The reasoning behind picking channel 4 is due to one requiring *4* satellites to get a good fix on a Geocache!

If you really want to geek out and look at the techie points, channels 3,4,5 have *slightly* better propagation through trees than 9,10,11. Using channel 4 provides a *guard* band either side to reduce any chance of crosstalk as FRS radios aren't the most selective receiver designs. Generally speaking, the lower the frequency the higher the efficiency of the transmitter and hence, the longer your batteries will last.

I admit these are all minor points, but I'm further convinced that Channel 4 is the best choice.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

quote:
Originally posted by Coupar-Angus McAlpine III:

Hi all!

For reasons outlined in the discussion in the Canadian side, I have suggested Channel 4. This is due to many channels, including 12, being used by high-power licensed entities in Canada. The clear channels in Canada are 3,4,5,9,10,11. The reasoning behind picking channel 4 is due to one requiring *4* satellites to get a good fix on a Geocache!

If you really want to geek out and look at the techie points, channels 3,4,5 have *slightly* better propagation through trees than 9,10,11. Using channel 4 provides a *guard* band either side to reduce any chance of crosstalk as FRS radios aren't the most selective receiver designs. Generally speaking, the lower the frequency the higher the efficiency of the transmitter and hence, the longer your batteries will last.

I admit these are all minor points, but I'm further convinced that Channel 4 is the best choice.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

4 is a nice number. In fact it's 2 times nicer then channel 2. Furthermore, if you take 4 bits you can count up to F in hex! Wow! And two F's make a whole byte of 1's too!

All kidding aside, any channel is as good as another out in the woods. Heck I was out in a park on Channel 7 and I heard people on the observation deck of the CN Tower chatting with family in a hotel. I couldn't hear the people in the hotel, only the CN Tower.

I REALLY want the primary to be something that doesn't exclude people with older hardware or GMRS hardware BUT that said, if the vote goes 12/2 then I'll live with that. To me it doesn't matter because I've got a fairly new set of FRS radios anyways.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command