Map of geocachers?

Qwertz

Numerous answers to the Question "Wer ist denn hier und von wo?" in 'Geocaching Home » Groundspeak Forums » German Speakin' raise following idea:

There are interactive maps with the caches. Why not maps with / of the geocachers? icon_confused.gif Would make it easy to find someone close by to meet, either to seek together or just to talk. Of course only with explicit allowance ....

My O.K. is here:

------------------

Die Menge der Antworten auf die Frage "Wer ist denn hier und von wo?" in 'Geocaching Home » Groundspeak Forums » German Speakin' brachte mich auf folgende Idee:

Es gibt interaktive Karten mit den Caches. Warum nicht auch Karten mit den / der Geocacher? icon_confused.gif Dann könnte man sehen, wer in der Nähe wohnt und mit wem man sich mal zusammen tun könnte, zum Suchen oder auch nur zum Quatschen. Alles natürlich nur mit ausdrücklicher Einverständnis ... .

Mein O.K. habt Ihr.

--------------------

Hendrik, (Qwertz) N51° 16.87' E7° 18.255' (Schwelm bei / near Wuppertal in NRW)

Hendrik.Woelper@web.de

Qwertz (BTW: I get your handle, its from your german keyboard)

Sounds like a good idea. You could even restrict the accuracy of the lat/lon so as not to be too precise.

In my my case, I live very close to one of my caches. I would just be concerned with people knocking on my door at all hours looking for hints.

Chris

It seems as if there was a thread long ago regarding this. (Apparently, I am too lazy to check.)

As I recall, the general concensus was against the idea because people didn't wan't there home locations given out.

I'm not sure how the data could be scewed to allow it to become acceptable.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't get it.

When I'm out cache hunting in my area, I tend to see a lot of the same names on the caches, which tells me these folks most likely live somewhere near here (within 30-40 miles anyway). If I'm interested in meeting up with them, I can click on the 'send email' option on the site and make an offer. If they're interested, they'll write back.

I think setting up a map with all this info on it would take up a lot of room on the server - wouldn't it? And like a previous poster said, a good portion of the Geocachers don't even bother to fill out any of the 'bio' section. Why would they want more specific info put out on them, like their home location on a map?

Interesting idea, but I just don't think it would fly.

Kinda like the over priced Geocaching.COM cameras...

icon_rolleyes.gif

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

Instead of leaving coordinates for one's domicile, (did I spell that right??) how about leaving coordinates for the entrance to one's subdivision or apt cplx, or maybe at the nearest convenience store. There are methods to give people an idea of location without "spilling the beans"