Local Arkansas TV Station Runs *LIVE* Geocaching Spots!

Gaddiel

I posted this in the South and Southeast forum, but wanted to let everyone else know about it. KATV (Channel 7 locally) did some live reports with a local cacher, bebopishere, and his daughter this morning. They aired five reports between 5:45 and 7:00, each about 3-4 minutes. Bebopishere did a fantastic job! Thanks!

[This message was edited by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish on July 24, 2003 at 09:41 AM.]

That took some guts.

Considering all of the unknowns involved in Geocaching and the high potential for something to go wrong, the potential for embarrasment is pretty high. I'd hate to have my batteries die, to slide down a hill or the cache to show up as plundered on live TV.

I'm glad to hear that it went well.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

It happened to me on a hunt with a reporter and photographer. After a nice hike to the cache site, I couldn't find it after close to an hour of searching. The reporter and photog jumped in and the 3 of us couldn't find it. And to add to the insult, a novice geocacher found it a week later without using a GPS.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

When a few of us locals took a TV crew on a cache hunt last fall, I made up a mock cache, that wasn't posted to geocaching.com, with a fake cache page printout I'd made up, and a container I'd just hidden 20 minutes before the TV people showed up. Also, since it wasn't a real cache, there were no worries about them giving away the location to plunderous muggles. Everything went off without a hitch.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

When a few of us locals took a TV crew on a cache hunt last fall, I made up a mock cache, that wasn't posted to geocaching.com, with a fake cache page printout I'd made up, and a container I'd just hidden 20 minutes before the TV people showed up. Also, since it wasn't a real cache, there were no worries about them giving away the location to plunderous muggles.

Actually, this was the original plan, but we got our wires crossed and didn't make it to the interview.