GPS vs Loran

This may have been asked before and I may be too lazy to look for it, but here's my question. Are Loran coordinates and GPS coordinates the same? I'm taking a friend out to dive a Lake Michigan wreck next month. He says he has the Loran Coords. I've never used a Loran, only GPS. Unfortunately for me, he left yesterday for two weeks of backpacking in Canada, so I don't have the numbers handy. If the coords are different, is there an easy way to convert them?

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Loran uses RF time difference triangulation for location. The transmitters for Loran are terrestrial. To tell you the truth I'm not sure if Loran-C is still operation of not. It was schedualed to be shutdown in December of 2000.

Many GPS units have a setting for "LORAN" to allow you to use those coords (I know my Garmin 72 does).

Loran-C is still operational (unfortuneately some will say) and there is really no comparison (as in looking the same) between Loran TD's and Lat/Long coordinates (GPS as such).

Some GPS receivers can use TD's and even convert these to Lat/long (software is also available to do this) but much can be lost in this conversion and in reality the absolute accuracy of Loran is rather poor compared to GPS.

Based on converting Loran TD's to lat/Long don't be disappointed if you don't find what you are hopefully looking for.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Depending on where you live in relation to the loran c transmitters, your lops or line of position will be very close but when converted over to lon lat it could be off as far as three miles.

Case in point the middle grounds of the Coronado Islands just below San Diego Ca, lops were dead on, but when converted to lon lat it showed that I was on the southern end of south island.

When this happened I called the manufacture, and they explained that it was the angle of the transmitters to the point where I was at and there was nothing that could be done when converting over to lon lat,so from then on I used only the lops with charts with the lops overlay. Hope this helps

All who look are not lost