staying off interstates

It seems to me there are a many people here who are more intelligent than I, so I was hoping someone might have an answer for me. The question is........I use my GPS when motorcycling. Many times this is how I search for the Caches. When using the features of the Garmin V such as using the units auto-routing, it always seems to pick the interstates as a method of travel. I hate interstates and would like to travel other highways and secondary roads. The Question....Is there a way to have the unit choose roads other than the interstates or is this the only method these types of GPS units will use??? Thanks in advance!

Ed icon_confused.gificon_smile.gif

Ed

If you go into the Setup menu then scroll over to ROUTING you can check the box at the bottom of the screen. You will see 3 boxes named, U turns, Toll Road and Highways check each box that you would like to avoid.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Shark,

I love it. I too am an interstate avoider. Sure, the 4-laners are good for commuting, but when it comes to a trip somewhere, I can't imagine getting on an interstate.

A web-based trip planning site I used to use had the option to avoid interstates, but this site is no longer totally free. Anyone know of a differerent route planner that will do this?

Jamie

When using MapSource with the European MetroGuide, there is the possibility to select "Avoid interstates". But it's also possible to specify how fast you are going on different roads. Setting the speed for interstates rather low, and autorouting for "shortest time", makes it possible for you to control to what extent you want to avoid the interstates.

The same goes for MG USA, I assume.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Setting the speed for interstates rather low, and autorouting for "shortest time", makes it possible for you to control to what extent you want to avoid the interstates.

Shoot, here in L.A., setting the interstates rather low is just being realistic. Good idea though Anders!

Fig

There's a link somewhere on the www.gpsinformation.net site that explains how to do this really well. Sorry, I just looked for the link and couldn't find it, but I have it on my hard drive, so I uploaded it to my own site. lol. Hope that doesn't upset anyone. If you want it it's here:

http://www.randyjensenphoto.com/gps/ScenicRoute.pdf

It mentions avioding highways, and changing the type of vehicle, etc.

Hope that helps!