Dropped E-Trex Vista Help Fast

When using my Garmin E-Trex Vista this weekend I dropped it in my boat. The thing fell a total of three feet at most. Now my display is only using 1/2 of its total display and even looks like it moved the screen up some. I can see all the things on the bottom of the normal screen but it is up at least 1/2" from the normal bottom. Problem is I need the GPS in two weeks so does anyone know of a good place to send in for repairs? Also I would like to do a clean on the software and re-install to see if that would work? Can anyone give me instructions for that. I have backed up all of my waypoints and tracks.

Any help ASAP would greatly be appreciated.

murph

Yes I did try the web page. I even sent them an email but was told also that it would take 5 - 7 days to get an answer back. I need my GPS even if I have to buy another one on July 15th. I can't wait that long for them to tell me I have to send it in. I was hoping that someone could tell me how to do a full reset on the software by removing the existing before installing the new. I did install the latest update and it did not help. I will can for technical support tommorrow. I was hoping also that there was another company that repaired these other than Garmin. The want $125.00 for a repair. That is more than half of what I paid for mine in the first place.

murph

I had a response the next buseness day from Garmin. They will work with you as best they can to fix it at your house. Have you tried a total reset?? I believe somewhere on their site it will tell you how. Also, what version is loaded on your vista. Try loading the latest v. and use your cold start-up procedures.

reset info:

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=60

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

From the sound of your symptoms, it appears you've dislodged part of the ribbon cable that connects the main circuit board to the display. That's why you get a normal display on part of the screen and nothing on the other half. There was an article on the newsgroup sci.geo.satellite-nav a few months ago from someone who succesfully took his Legend or Vista apart to reseat the ribbon cable.

Here's one description on how to open a Vista:

"First you peel off the rubber around the outside. It's been my experience

that after about 6 months of hard use, it's about to fall off anyway.

Then under that rubber seal, is a clear plastic seal that actually makes

the unit waterproof. I don't know if you can unwrap this or if you have

to cut it, but then you can pry the two halfs of the case apart."

But definitely check first by calling Garmin's support number. They sometimes fix units for free even if they are well out of warranty. Many eTrexi have had problems with the ribbon cable resulting in lines showing up in the display.

Doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Called Garmin this morning and they said it would have to be sent in. I told them of the lines through my screen for the longest time and they said they recognised the problem and would fix it for $50.00. The normal fix for the Vista is $125.00 so I think I am doing ok. They will have it back to me by the 14th of July. To me that is pretty good service on a unit that is 2 years old.

murph

Write the serial number down, most likely they will simply replace your unit with a refurbished unit. But ask them if the replacement unit has any warranty on it, usally they give the same warranty as a new unit on the refurbished ones. (1 year)

I asked if I was going to get the same one back. I was worried because I had my back on for my handle bar mount and wanted to make sure I got it back. They told me I would get the same one back since it was so close to new yet. I sure hope I get the same one back??? I would be somewhat ticked if I didn't get the handlebar cover mount. Can't do much about it now as they have already recieved it.

murph

The suction on the windshield failed while in my wife's car not too long ago, and the entire unit fell to the floorboard, striking the ONLY protruding object (the little hook that holds the floormat in place), putting a nice 2-point star crack through most of the screen.

Garmin gladly replaced the screen, but did send my original unit back. There was a slight nick in one corner that I recognized it from. Still too bad I didn't get any Garmin schwag like Magellan hooks their customers up with. :/

Brian

Team A.I.

M5 Driver,

The normal charge for the Vista is $125.00 for repairs. Mine is 2 years old and they are fixing it for $50.00. They did have some problems with the ribbon cable and they figured that was what was wrong with mine. Call the 800 number and see what they say. For the $50.00 it would be worth getting it fixed for sure.

murph