SporTrak Color

icon_smile.gif Yes! It's here! At my local Best Buy! The Magellan SporTrak Color has hit the store shelves and I'm going to get to see it--if all goes as planned--on Monday!

However, in anticipation of someone else getting theirs before me--a certainty at this point--I'd like to know if anyone else has bought one of these and run it through it's paces!

That's all, just looking for working knowledge from people who've made the plunge and purchased this new color GPS.

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

Drats, I didn't even think to call Best Buy to see if they had any. I ended up ordering mine from TigerGPS. What was the price that Best Buy was offering them for?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Is Magellan planning on making a GPSr with a higher rez screen? I think I'd prefer that to color, though the color screen does look pretty snazzy, especially if you have a Streets or Topo map on it.

My wish list would be for higher detailed info on the Topo maps and a high rez screen to handle it. Running around in SF and Marin the level of detail on the Topo is really bad. Look at Strawberry Hill in Stow Lake (N37 46.13 W122 28.50) for instance. It is an incredibly steep and rounded hill but doesn't even register on the contour topo lines in Mapsend Topo.

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

The COLOR has a higher rez screen. 240x160

Kind of disappointed by Magellan's use of the word resolution when they are actually describing the size of the display in pixels. Not the same thing. So I did a little checking based on spec data at the websites.

The ST Color now has a display that is about 35% better than the ST Pro (a good improvement) and is 77% of the Garmin Vista (better, but needs work). Hope this puts it into better perspective.

Vista: H 137p/in, W 145p/in.

ST Color: H 104p/in, W 114p/in.

ST Pro: H 70p/in, W 74p/in.

don