Anyone try out the Geko yet?

benjamin921

I was thinking about getting a Geko. As a backpacker I appreciate small and light. Since it's the smallest, lightest GPS out there it seemed like a no-brainer. Then I looked at one. OUCH. Talk about hard on the eyes. It looks like a toy. I wonder which button you push to squirt the water out? And it runs on AAA batteries. That wouldn't be so bad if you could get lithiums in AAA but you can't so I guess I'll keep on chugging with my yellow E-trex. icon_smile.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

We have had them at the store for a while now, and they are not turning into a great seller. I am not sure what "niche" in the market that Garmin was aiming for with these. I suppose for someone who cares a lot about weight and size, like backpackers, it might be a choice. If you simply wanted a GPSR for safety, like marking your camp/trailhead/car or whatever and making sure you have the ability to get back to it, it would do fine. It positively is not a unit for any kind of "power user", but I am sure it was never intended to be. It would be a cheap(er)alternative for someone, like a snowmobiler say, who might not otherwise carry one at all.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

I suppose for someone who cares a lot about weight and size, like backpackers, it might be a choice. If you simply wanted a GPSR for safety, like marking your camp/trailhead/car or whatever and making sure you have the ability to get back to it, it would do fine.

That is kinda what I was thinking. A nice small unit for a back up or to use in an emergency situation if needed.

The geko was made cause of the cost of the etrax yellow when they go on sale for 99.00 they lose money so they made the geko they make about 3 to 5 dallors off each unit where as the yellow etrax they were losing money got that straight from a Garmin rep: If you play with a geko you will find there is not much differnce from the yellow etrax icon_wink.gif

Wise man says man who plays golf in rain has wet balls

icon_smile.gif

We just got the new Cabelas Spring Expo sale catalog. They have the yellow Geko 101 for 99.99 and the green Geko 201 for 139.99. We checked out the internet, and so far these are the best prices we've found. Cabela's doesn't have the Geko on their website catalog however.......These prices only good through their Spring Expo Feb. 28 through March 2. Here's their store locations.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

I bought a 201 as my first GPS to use backpacking, mountaineering, and with some geocaching. So far I have been very pleased with the unit. I am not using it for anything too high powered (nor do I plan to) but the fact that it is so small and light really are attractive to me. So far it seems to be acurate and holds a signal well even in some fairly dense tree cover (and in my living room for that matter). For what I needed I think it was the perfect unit.