Rino Update

quote:
I kept the old software because of the 10 second position reporting. The new 3.10 update now only allows position reporting every 30 seconds.

Huh? I am curious what real difference this makes. If my buddie is walking South at 3 mph and I am walking North at 3 mph, the distance we spread apart in 20 seconds is only 88 ft(If I did the math right). That is the difference between a 10 sec. update and a 30 sec. update. Why does this matter over the other improvements the software upgrade offer? I am not trying to nit-pick here, I really am curious.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by spyder40:

Anybody figure out what the changes are? I updated one of my Rino 120's and can't see the differences on either screen.

When you power up the Rino, the first screen is the radio screen. As far as I can tell the tone list is on a seperate page and the polling feature is on the radio set up screen.

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

quote:
I kept the old software because of the 10 second position reporting. The new 3.10 update now only allows position reporting every 30 seconds.

Huh? I am curious what real difference this makes. If my buddie is walking South at 3 mph and I am walking North at 3 mph, the distance we spread apart in 20 seconds is only 88 ft(If I did the math right). That is the difference between a 10 sec. update and a 30 sec. update. Why does this matter over the other improvements the software upgrade offer? I am not trying to nit-pick here, I really am curious.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

It's a real pain transfering Waypoints on the road at 30 seconds each. And when your cycling, your traveling more like 20+ mph.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com

quote:
Originally posted by SurefireM6:

It's my understanding that you're legally not suppose to send position data more than every 30 secs now. (How would anyone know?)

I went ahead and updated for the new polling feature. The polling feature is perhaps one of the coolest features yet! I can locate my kids even if they don't respond!

<vent>

Feh. The FCC could care less whether you're transmitting that every 10 or 30 seconds. I think the chances of them ever checking for that in the real world are about as great as my butt sprouting flowers.

I lump the GMRS licensing into that too. If you're not being an ***, I can't imagine they'd ever take the time to try and track you down and check whether you have a license. They're so horribly underfunded, they really don't have anything better to do right now than sell out to Big Business and repeal the laws restricting ownership of media outlets.

That being said, I don't condone breaking the law. icon_smile.gif

<vent>

The FCC is a joke. Thier inability and unwillingness to enforce FCC Regulations makes it most unfair to Law Abiding Radio users. My take on FCC regulations is that if they want us to take it seriously, then they need to step up to the plate and enforce the laws.

My reasoning: By not enforcing the laws, it makes such a burden on the people who do that it's not worth it. I get a license for $85, for what? I still get a punk kid without a license cussing at me and there isn't a darn thing I can do about it. Because the FCC allows manufactures to produce cheap bubble pack radios and allows the sale of them without obtaining a license first.

Where does my money go? $85 every 5 years and I get no enforcement in return. Kind of like paying Homeowner's Association dues and getting no enforcement at all. Your neighbor parks his RV and has overgrown grass.

Like most, I don't condone breaking the law but don't make it harder on us law abiding people. At least require a license before purchasing GMRS, BRS etc radios. Easy thing to do. Tack on $85 and have us fill out a form so the dealer/business selling the radio can fax it in.

Sorry for the rambling.

That's just a few out of hundreds of thousands of radio pirates. The odds of getting one of those letters is one in a million. And most are warnings.

The FCC should confiscate equipment and assess a small fine on the first offense.

That page shows my point. The FCC is a joke. Again, sorry for the bitterness but after years of seeing GMRS break down like CB did I'm saddened. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SurefireM6:

That's just a few out of hundreds of thousands of radio pirates. The odds of getting one of those letters is one in a million. And most are warnings. "Issuance by the FCC of a Warning Notice indicates that the FCC has what it believes to be reliable evidence of possible rules infractions and not necessarily that the recipient has violated FCC rules."

What it beleives to be reliable evidence....hmm maybe a tip? hardly evidence or investigating there.

The FCC should confiscate equipment and assess a small fine on the first offense.

That page shows my point. The FCC is a joke. Again, sorry for the bitterness but after years of seeing GMRS break down like CB did I'm saddened. icon_frown.gif