Ext Ant Pushing Me Toward Garmin

I use my handheld for both caching and driving but I have a truck camper and the "bedroom" overhangs the cab. To get a signal on my older Mag 315, I have to hold it well forward on the dash. I want to upgrade and think I want a mapping unit. However, in the Magellan line, only the Mag Color has an external antenna option. So I guess I need to "Go Garmin". Wouldn't think the ext ant would be important in the field but don't want to buy two units.

Also, I don't see why I'd want electronic compass. I carry a magnetic compass with me that I don't have to reset or calibrate or otherwise mess with. (And it doesn't eat batteries!) Also, I can use regular compass when plotting on maps. But I've never used E-compass..so tell me why I'd want one?

While not a big issue while driving, an electronic compass is usefull when caching to get a bearing to the cache while standing still as it will update your bearing without having to be traveling. This is great for the last few meters of your search. You can certainly use a regular compass for this, but it is so much easier to follow the bearing info on the gps, then have to get a position then figure a bearing from a regular compass based on your current location.

Just like anything else, both boil down to personal preference. I've got the low end Garmin 48 (marine). Cheap, waterproof, no onboard maps, just cities. It has a bike mount capability, a PC interface capability and it lets me use an external antenna so I can see the sky out of my truck like you. I personally use and also prefer a magnetic compass to shoot bearings on the rare times I need them.

Those were my requirements so that is the GPS I use. In the end, the trick is to figure your uses, specifications, then budget and get the GPSr that fits. That's why there's a bazillion and one different units on the market. Everyone has their personal favorites.

SA / PP-ASEL-I

Street Pilot III is a great unit.

The Street Pilot III, I believe, is the best Mapping unit for the money. It was highly praised on TechTV.

The Meridian Platinum, I think is the best caching unit, but it doesn't beat the GPS V for everything else, because the Garmin's have better tracklogging.

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+1+0+0+0+255+255+255+255