Here's a 20% Discount on Street Atlas USA 2003

PATHer

Received the following notice from DeLorme - if anyone is looking at picking up the latest version of Street Atlas, it might just save you some money.

======================

Street Atlas USA® 2003 was just named the "Ultimate Choice" in mapping software by the industry-leading magazine, Laptop Buyers Guide.

Street Atlas USA 2003 won the award over Microsoft® Streets & Trips, MapQuest® online, DeLorme AAA Map'N'Go®, and Rand McNally's PalmPak® Travel Card.

You can get Street Atlas USA 2003 for just $39.95

That's a 20% SAVINGS FOR YOU off the standard price!

Your Priority Code is # 4747

For in-depth information, sample maps, and to order, please go to http://www.delorme.com or call (800) 561-5104

Remember your purchase is completely backed by the DeLorme 30-Day Guarantee.

If you are not completely satisfied with any DeLorme product, return it within 30 days

and we'll refund your purchase price, less shipping and handling charges.

Thank you very much for your interest in DeLorme products.

Sincerely,

Dave Eshelman

Senior Vice President

DeLorme

=======================

Hope someone finds this if value . . . . .

The best feature is the ability have multiple routes on a single map. This wasn't possible in earlier SA version (except the little-seen SA Delux). The software is smart enough to adjust the waypoint names to avoid collisions with similar waypoints on other routes. This helps get around the limit of the number of waypoints on can have on a route (by splitting it into multiple routes).

Another nice thing - the ability to make your own roads. One of the biggest problems with previous versions of SA is the freaky routing it would sometimes do because it thought there were gaps in a road (even though the gaps weren't displayed). You can now fix this with the Join Roads feature.

The downside as that the user interface is TERRIBLE! Some buttons perform actions, other buttons display dropdown lists. The whole mess is confusing, and doesn't follow any known GIU standard. And it's a bit buggy. It allows you to specify the number of waypoints in a route your GPS can handle, but it won't save that information (it keeps defaulting back to 20). And worse of all, there's no facility to mass convert your old SA maps to the new format. Some functions that were present in older SA version are now missing, such as the ability to copy the route directions to the clipboard (handy for putting them in a spreadsheet).

3608_1400.gif

I found it overwhelming complex, it locked up my Vista so I couldn't transfer data from my Mapsourse GPS program as long as Delorme was open and I couldn't get some data to transfer at all times. I also found that where I live the waypoints set when creating the route was 100-150 feet off confusing you when you should make a turn. You had to guess whether it was this block or the next block. I checked and some area in other cities are more accurate but not in Forest HIlls. It's OK I suppose for non-GPS users but I subsequently bought Metroguide for routing and put Delorme on the shelf. And I paid 50.0 for mine.

Maybe once they get the bugs out it'll be better.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

street level data was missin on the palm pilot for my neigborhood in queens ...

Well you could use a laptop; if you could find a big enough neck lanyard to carry it around. icon_wink.gif

Actually this points out what I now realize in retrospect is the biggest problem with 2003 and I suppose other non-GPS map/routing programs. You can't load the maps and POI into you GPS.. Now that I have Metro, it's really great to be able to have the maps in the GPS plus if I need a local restaurtant, ATM, gas station, etc while I'm out and around, I can look it up in the GPS! Get the addreess and phone number too so you can call to make reservation or find out if they're open. While 2003 has lots more POI's, it's not handy "on the hunt".

One thing might work though. I believe they have a smaller version for PDA's. Check their website.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

street level data was missin on the palm pilot for my neigborhood in queens ...

Well you could use a laptop; if you could find a big enough neck lanyard to carry it around. icon_wink.gif

Actually this points out what I now realize in retrospect is the biggest problem with 2003 and I suppose other non-GPS map/routing programs. You can't load the maps and POI into you GPS.. Now that I have Metro, it's really great to be able to have the maps in the GPS plus if I need a local restaurtant, ATM, gas station, etc while I'm out and around, I can look it up in the GPS! Get the addreess and phone number too so you can call to make reservation or find out if they're open. While 2003 has lots more POI's, it's not handy "on the hunt".

One thing might work though. I believe they have a smaller version for PDA's. Check their website.

Alan