Date and Time information

I have a question about when I generate a track on my GPS. I mean, when I just have it record data while I hike or drive.

I know it records the time and the date information, and in the vertical profile (on my Meridium Plat) it shows me this time and date.

My question is how do I download that information ?? Do any of the programs save that information ?? I can't seem to find the info in either Mapsend Topo or ExpertGPS.

I would like to use it to calculate average speed of when I go biking or just to keep the information to remember which day I went where if I go on a trip.

Best free program for Magellan and Garmin is:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

You can upload/download alot between it and other gps units.

Ive used it to download a track from my Platinum, then upload that to my GPS V.

The program is G7ToWin in Zip format

It is also available for Pocket PC/WIN CE devices.

Magellans create one long messy tracklog, and with G7ToWin you can go though the tracklog list and break up the tracklog into segments, by clicking on certain track points and making that the start of a segment.

I guess I didn't pose my question very well.

Mapsend Topo and ExpertGPS allow me to download the trackinformation. However it looks like it only downloads the lat long information, not the date and time stamp of that location.

I was wondering if there is a way to look at that date and time information.

quote:
Originally posted by DutchHorn:

I guess I didn't pose my question very well.

Mapsend Topo and ExpertGPS allow me to download the trackinformation. However it looks like it only downloads the lat long information, not the date and time stamp of that location.

There are two slightly different commands that can be issued to the GPS to make it hock up the track log. It sounds like the software you're using is issuing a "type 1" track command instead of a "type 2" track command which adds the time and date. Unfortunately for you, you probably don't get to pick which the software is using.

However (and we begin wild speculation here) since you're using ExpertGPS and ExpertGPS is written by someone with a keen eye on GPX and GPX can included time and date information (though it isn't mandatory that a reader USE that information) and GPSBabel can read your Magellan tracks from serial or flash card and can write to GPX, you *may* be able to get there without a software change. The key question to ask is of ExpertGPS is, "can it read time and date stamps from GPX files."

If you'd like to experiment, the reference track at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/reference/track/tracks.gpx

does include timestamp information. If Expert likes that, then just use GPSBabel to get GPX from your unit and feed that to Expert...