Garmin72 Shutdown

GeoMike7

I have just discovered geocaching and purchased a Garmin72 unit a month ago. My question relates to a problem I have been having with the unit shutting down without warning. I have been using alkaline batteries and wondered if the cold was killing them (air temps about 45-50F). The unit will run on fresh batteries for about an hour then start cutting out. The battery meter shows no less than 3/4 of a full charge and I get no low battery warning. Being new to GPS units I wasn't sure if the solution was as simple as switching to lithium batteries or if the problem might be more serious. Any help with this dilemma would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I also have a recently purchased gps 72 i was i have had problems with it shutting off with no warning even with new batteries. also i've had problems at times with it not picking up satellites for 10-15 minutes even while my dad's 72 sitting right beside mine is doing fine. also data fields will be blank at times while i am recieving good sat coverage. i emailed garmin and recieved back a reply today to go to their website at garmin.com and download the latest update for these problems.

i hope it works because i really like this unit when it is working.