Autorouting: Do I really need it??

pinecone

I have spent a month researching the GPS V and the 76S. I know all the features and have read all the recent comments on this forum and still can't make a decision.

I really wonder why I need autorouting as most of my driving is in rural areas. If I'm going between point A and Point B why not just waymark these on GPS and manually follow the map? Do I really need the machine to "tell" me when to turn if I can see the route on the display? I can understand why this feature would be great when traveling in a highly populated metro area, but when on major highways and backroads?

Maybe I just don't understand autorouting so please explain how you use it. The 76S has so many nice features and is a little bit less expensive ( I already have MetroGuide ). Also, loss of reception, as per comments on this forum, see to be less frequent than with the V.

I will be using the GPS in the car, on float trips, and for geocaching. I've read so much data I'm getting overload, so any comments on helping me make a decision would be appreciated

I got the V based on a number of peoples comments on it being a great all around unit. It does blue charts, it route, etc.The only thing that it doesn't do is float but you can't have everything.Anyway routing was cool but I didn't think I would use it that much. But after my first trip with this unit into parts unknown, I am hooked. Watching the little maps on the screen is fairly hard to do when you are driving at least if don't want to run into oncoming traffic.Having the unit beep at you and show you the next turn is terrific. Also if you get off course some where , it will auto recalculate the best route from where you are. Can't do that with a preloaded route. I have used mine in the wood for hiking quite a bit and have never had trouble getting sat lock as long as you remember ant. orientation.(pointed upheld in front of you). Its a great unit

Cat-n-the-hat

Autorouting is a great feature for all (on road) areas. I use it all the time; but it's especially good for hopping from one cache to the next in unfamiliar areas. No need to do a lot of advance planning. Just hit the FIND button, select the nearest geocache, and GOTO it. After you've found that one, repeat for the next, and the next...

As cat-n-the-hat said, trying to follow the correct roads by just viewing the screen is neither safe nor practical. Autorouting automatically zooms in and out at the appropriate times so you can see the required amount of detail at the right times. You also get the audible alerts for upcoming turns and effortless rerouting if you get off course or if your plans change enroute.

Worldtraveler

If you are familure with an area, sure, you could set waypoints and follow the map. But as been said afore, the maps can be kind of small to see.

When the V gets to a turn it beeps and displays a large turn arrow. Also, you will find yourself using the rerouting feature more then you think. Miss a turn and the V just figures a new route from where you are. It also beeps at you to let you know you are off route. Its nice to be able to put in one waypoint and just tell the V to route you there. No muss, no fuss. Call me lazy, but I like it. icon_smile.gif

66427_2800.gif

Thanks to all of you for the reply. I don't seem to find anyone who has used autorouting state they could now do without it.

Talked to a frind today who uses a Garmin Legend and he said it's almost impossible to follow the map manually because you are constantly zooming in and out. He said if you are zoomed in tight enough to see a detailed turn on a small road, you are zoomed in too far to get the big picture of the overall route. That makes good sence to me. Also, he mentioned that building a route using several waypoints is a real pain.

I think I've made up my mind. It's gonna be a GPS V

Half the fun is getting there. We have a lot of fun figuring out where we are going, making wrong turns, laughing at each other. It's not nearly as fun to laugh at an autorouter, and it doesn't make mistakes often enough anyway... Where's the fun in that? icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Talked to a frind today who uses a Garmin Legend and he said it's almost impossible to follow the map manually because you are constantly zooming in and out. He said if you are zoomed in tight enough to see a detailed turn on a small road, you are zoomed in too far to get the big picture of the overall route. That makes good sence to me.

I have a Garmin GPS V and you can turn that auto zoom off. I personally never have it on autozoom. Actually I have never had it on autozoom, now' I'm going to have to check it out. I had a GPS III plus and returned it cuze of memory being to small. After I got the GPS V I will NEVER buy a GPS without autorouting. It's just too cool...!

You know what AutoRouting is, so why ask the question if you need it? Its your choice, if you need it or not. It is a nice feature for some people. What GPS r do you have may influence your choice along with how much you will be depending on your GPS r's auto routing capability while driving. Its all about what you do and if you have trouble getting places or not.

-peace icon_biggrin.gif

I have a Vista, since I wanted the most handy unit to hold in your hand when you are out running and similar.

However, when I bought the MetroGuide Europe, that supports autorouting on the PC, although not in the GPS itself. The Vista can't autoroute anyway, so that's a match as good as it gets. Admittedly, it does require advance planning in making and downloading the route, but I've frequently used the ability to calculate the autoroute on the PC, then download it to my Vista. Using the autozoom function, I get something similar, in that it zooms in where you have to select a new road, but shows you the overall picture between the waypoints.

If I go somewhere else, it will not recalculate, of course, so that's one part of the planning you have to do.

On the other hand, I would never replace my Vista with a GPS V, for example. Owning a GPS V too, that's OK, but when I go out running or on inlines, the eTrex package is the best there is right now. As long as I have that one only, the PC autorouting gives me some part of the advantage of autorouting provided by other GPS models.

Anders