Satellite sensitivity - Sportrak Pro and GPSMAP 76S

I've got both of these in my hands now for an eval - I can return the one I don't want to go with. It's been a blizzard outside lately so I haven't had a chance to use them a lot outside, other than to let them do their initialization stuff.

It seems to me that the Sportrak Pro is MUCH more sensitive to picking up satellites inside my house than the GPSMAP 76S is. I can be in a room with maybe one small window - the Sportrak will give me maybe 3-5 bars, while the 76S may have a hard time coming up with 1 - or maybe none at all. If I walk across the inside of the house, the Sportrak will maintain its fix - the 76S will report that it has lost satellite reception.

I'd like to know if I should care about this, relative to my wanting to know if the 76S will maintain accurate tracking in heavily wooded areas (which also don't exist now for me to test in - leaves all gone). Is this a dumb test? I really like the display and features of the 76S, but jeez - if the Sportrak is gonna be significantly more sensitive at maintaining satellite fixes, then I may need to go with the Sportrak, even if its display isn't as cool, and it doesn't have some of the features of the 76S. I plan to use a GPS for geocaching, general exploring on foot and on an ATV, and in a car when possible. Occasionally in a canoe/kayak too.

I just need to know that the 76S will come through when there is a lot of heavy cover, or in a car.

Thanks very much,

Doug

Doug,

I've got a 76S, and am pretty satisified with it. However, I don't have anything to compare it with, as this is the first one I've owned & used. I don't know where you are from, however, I'm from Mo., and own some acreage in the Missouri Ozarks. Most of the land is heavly forested, and this summer, I didn't have much problem getting satellites. I don't remember what I was receiving, but if I remember right, the accuracy was usually within 12-20ft. This fall during deer season, I even got within 7'. All in all, I really like it!

Roy Evans

Doug,

I only have the MAP76S so I can't compare it side by side with any other GPSrs however, I can tell you this. My first GPSr was a Garmin Legend. I had it for about a week and it went back because its reception was terrible. My next unit was a Garmin MAP76. A very good unit with acceptable reception in the field. I got rid of that unit for my current 76S. This GPSr is assume! I can sit in my recliner in the living room which has a vaulted ceiling and is about 20 feet to the closest window and constantly pull 4-7 satellites with quite strong signals. I can even get WAAS while in my chair. Outside the 76S is even better. Any problems are directly due to the operator not the GPSr. If you really like the 76S I would see if you could get another one to try out. It could very well be the sensitivity set at the factory. Good luck in your venture.

...was the issue of initializing the devices. I think I read somewhere that this needs to be done in order to obtain the best satellite fixes. I had initialized the 76S but I then cleared it out while I was futzing with it. I went outside and initialized the 76S again for about 10 minutes and came inside. I was standing in a spot that, a few hours earlier, I could maybe get 1 satellite. This time, I got 4-5 strong signals. Maybe that was it.

Thanks, Doug

I have a MAP 76S and I also have a Lowrance GlobalMap 100. I very heavy cover the Lowrance will hold a lock better than the 76S. I like the features on the 76S much better than the Lowrance. When my wife and go geocaching we will take both units with us, and we have the best of both. I think there is pros and cons with any GPSr. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jerry

Although I won't have my 76S til xmas, one of the many features that sold me on asking for this one is the external antenna jack. I do a lot of hiking and like to overlay my track on topo maps after the hike. I plan to buy one of the very small external antenna's and mount it on a short lightweight pole attached to my backpack. That way I don't have to hold the gps out in the clear all the time. They don't work very well stuffed in a pocket. This will also allow use of the external antenna while using the gps in a car.

Just another thought,

Poindexter,

www.geocities.com/fairbank56