What should i buy?

|Gumby|

Well, I've wanted a GPS for some time now and I'm finally taking the plunge! I have been thinking about getting the Garmin eTrax Vista ($294.95 from www.offroute.com) with the MapSource TOPO ($79.99 at www.amazon.com). I know this is a great GPS, but I recently saw the deal of getting a Garmin GPSMAP 76S for $346.26 at www.amazon.com. Is there a real benefit to get the 76S over the Vista? There is also a $50 rebate on the Vista right now, so the difference would be about $100--but the deal on the 76S is amazing considering it's $450 most other places. Please let me know your thoughts as soon as possible...I'll probably be ordering this in the next day or two.

I am upgrading my etrex (yellow) after the first of the year, and I can't decide between the vista, 76S, or the Meridian Platinum. All three look good so far, but there has to be one that is far better. My main concern is reception of sats., and toughness.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

"If I knew how thirsty I was going to be this morning, I would have drank more last night."

If you can spare the $100 extra, you wouldn't be sorry. Much bigger screen, better antenna, external antenna port, and it floats. I believe also, when the time comes to upgrade again, you'll get a better return for the 76S than the Vista.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

I strongely suggest not getting the Vista if you spend time using it geocaching or hunting/hiking. It has a terrible time getting reception and at many times even seems worse then my past Etrex Yellow. My brother likes his Meridian Gold and it DOES get good reception and is less then the Vista. I would never get a garmin with the "patch" antenna again but THe RINO 120 has the Quad Helix antenna so I am going for that over a Meridian.

Dont get the Vista, get a meridian or Rino...

I'm with Mr. Rose (since you're asking for opinions icon_wink.gif). The best value I'm aware of now in GPSr and software is the Meridian Plat at Harmony Computers for $239 and MapSend Topo from Amazon for $70 with a $50 rebate for the two.

I'm not familiar enough with the Rino to know how that would compare...and if money is not a big factor, there might be other features to sway you. Be sure to read the current thread on "GPS units with Outstanding Reception" in this forum.

Don't get even - get odd

Ok, so now I'm even more confused than I was when I started looking at GPS units. I went down to a local store, tried messing around with a Vista, but that wouldn't get a lock inside the store. We then tried a Rhino 120 and that wouldn't either. Unforunately they didn't have the 76S or any Magellans to try out. Does the Vista (and 76S) have this problem often? I noticed several posts and links to inaccurate readings and lost-locks for the Garmins. Basically I'm looking for the best unit to do hiking/camping/biking with. All I really want is a quality unit that will not lose lock, will give me altimeter readings for the total trip, and do average speed/overall speed/timer (I'm sure all units do this). Please try giving me some direction!

Go with the 76S. I have an Etrex Vista. At 1 month the click stick went out. The unit was sent back to the factory under warrenty. The replacement unit would not read the correct altitude. I would show stupid readings like 26,000 ft.

Both units had problems of losing battery power due to vibration's.

I own a Vista and have been very pleased with my purchase. Don't worry about it not being able to get a lock inside a store, because not many units will.

quote:
Basically I'm looking for the best unit to do hiking/camping/biking with

The Vista is made for hiking, and outdoor use, it is very rugged.

I have found my Vista to not have trouble in the woods with reception as many claim. If I were you,I would go back to the store, and ask if you could compare the units outside in the parking lot. Take note of how fast the units aquire satelites, how many satellites, and signal strength. Also decide which unit is easiest to use, and above all, which unit you feel comfortable with the most.

Check this review out. It's technical so be prepared for real facts. The SportTrak Map and SporTrak Pro use the same Antenna. They are, infact the same unit except the memory options are a bit different and the base map size of the Map is a bit larger. The Garmin is about a hundred dollars more expensive (last I checked) then the SporTrek models and the mapping software is also more expensive. I find it real funny in that the SporTrak series is clearly the more advanced unit with it's quadifier helix antenna as compared to the old patch antenna of the Garmin. Not to mention they are so much cooler looking. Anyway, if you take the time to read this entire review, I think you'll find the choice is clear...

http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

I'm not at all talking down Garmin. They have great products, my brother swears by them. I swear by Magellan. Chevy or Ford... It's all about how it feels when it's in your hand. Go play with em! icon_biggrin.gif

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him.

I have 2 Vistas and I have been very happy with them, despite some hardware issues that were resolved to my complete satisfaction. I wish I also had a 76s so I could make a first hand comparison, but from what I have read, I doubt I would want to give up the convenience of small size and weight that enable me to take my vista everywhere I go and mount it on my bike and under my steering wheel. The screen is small but the resolution is so great that I have no trouble seeing whatever I need to see. I have not had reception problems in the field. I would definitely recommend getting the MetroGuide CD instead of or along with the Topo. I have and use both, but only the Metro has address look-up capability which I use almost every day.