Garmin mapsource topo vs. Magellan Mapsend topo

bersh

I just stumbled on this forum and would like to say that I'm impressed.

I'm mulling over an eTrex Legend, and a Megellan Meridian, and one of the final deciding factors will be the quality of topo software that I'm able to load into the unit. I'm aware of many of the pros and cons for each unit, and can live with either as long as the topo software is decent.

I've read good and bad about both software packages, so I'm hoping that there are a few people here that have used both and provide some good, comparitive feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Which one is better depends a lot on how you'll be using your receiver most of the time. Neither product has anywhere near the detail of a 1:24,000 scale USGS topo map, which is what you'll want for primary route planning and backcountry navigation most of the time. Garmins TOPO is basically vectorized USGS 1:100,000 scale maps, which tend to be somewhat outdated when it comes to man made objects such as roads. Magellans TOPO isn't quite as detailed as garmins when it comes to geographical data such as streams, springs etc, but it uses tiger map road data which is quite a bit more modern than the old USGS maps, albiet somewht less accurate positionally in some areas.

Basically, if you're going to use the GPS mostly for backcountry/wilderness travel, I'd recommend the Garmin maps, taking of course good paper maps with you as well. If you'll be spending more time on the roads then you'll probably prefer the Magellan product.

If you'd like to view some of Garmins detail for yourself, you can use the preview on Garmins website. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good site to view the Magellan TOPO maps on.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Take a look at this site; there are some comparisons and maps of both products.

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Bersh:

I'm mulling over an eTrex Legend, and a Megellan Meridian, and one of the final deciding factors will be the quality of topo software that I'm able to load into the unit. I'm aware of many of the pros and cons for each unit, and can live with either as long as the topo software is decent.

I've read good and bad about both software packages, so I'm hoping that there are a few people here that have used both and provide some good, comparitive feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Sorry, i forgot the link!

Take a look at this site; there are some comparisons and maps of both products.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/mag-gold.htm

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Bersh:

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I now have a Merigreen and a Legend side-by-each (yooper term), along with copies of both software packages, so I'll be able to kick both of them around and see. My initial impressions of the units are that the Garmin interface and ergonomics are superior to the Magellan. However, as I sit here typing, the Magellan has a lock, while the Legend is still searching.

Just as I have read, the software seems similar, with the Mapsource topo having a little cleaner and more complete detail, while the Mapsend topo streets are a lot more accurate and current.

Looks like the next couple of days will be fun as I put them both through their paces.

Scott

[This message was edited by Bersh on December 31, 2002 at 03:16 PM.]

Rather than watching Dick Clark, I've been playing with the new toys. So far, the software comparison isn't even close - the Garmin Mapsource is the clear winner. Much more detail, and easier to differentiate what those details are. I've got a couple screen shots, but my machine is down at work so I can't post them. The difference is dramatic though.

As far as the units go, the Legend is better in just about every respect, other than the fact that I can lock on without a problem with the Meridian while I'm sitting here (with 7 satellites) and the Legend will only pick up 3 when I put it in the window. Tomorrow will be some side-by-each tracking and backtracking in the truck to see if the legend cuts corners as badly as what I have read.

bersch what were your results? i am rather interested in this topic myself, and its 2 months later!!! i think this may be one of the deciding factors on which unit i buy, and man am i getting ANCY to own one myself... but then again i am half tempted to chuck the whole mapping concept and buy a cheap e-trex on e-bay and save myself some money initially.

thanks

dougtape