Garmin Ique 3600 for geocaching

I have a Garmin GPS 12 that works very well for geocaching. I also just got a Ique 3600. I've read a few posts from others with these that say they are good for geocaching too, but I can't seem to figure it out...took forever to find a place that I can manually enter a waypoint, once that is done routing to it wants to take me via roadways, versus through the woods or over lakes...what are you folks using on this to navigate?

The unit does work very well on the road, but I'm looking for something that helpsoff the trail too.

Lastly, any suggestions for 3rd party apps that work with the Ique? I tried Geoniche, which looks great too, but can't seem to get it to initialize the Ique GPS...

Mark

mhenderson@mayo.edu

I have an iQue 3600 also and am disatistied with it. You must enter waypoints manualy. There is no way that I could find to download way points from the GeoCaching sight to the unit. Also I bought the 256meg memory but it only shows 243meg. Do you know if this is typical? Also loading maps to the memory took forever. I loaded 36meg of maps to the card and it took about an hour. It was so slow that I thought my computer lockedup the first time I tried it. Don't know how long it would take to load 200meg.

Eagle Son

This is one thing I wanted to check into before getting a Ique. Can't you just use one one of the many GPS programs out for the PalmOS on it like Geoniche? If the GPS on it provides NEMA that should work fine, but I am guess you already tried that. If that worked you could load waypoints and descriptions directly.

A = A

Well I am not sure if the lack of NMEA support is a good thing. I like options available, but if they just made it have NMEA out of the box no one would re-write software to use the API. Since access the GPS though the API might allow more then one program to access the GPS at the same time, that would be a much better way. I was going to register as a developer so I can get a look at the API details. I just really need to know how this thing works before I put down that kinda cash (cache:groanicon_smile.gif in a new PDA. I also want to know if I can rig up a extended battery and protection case since I would really want to use this while snowshoeing.

I would really like to be able to use the maps from TopoUSA with it. They are much more detailed then the maps for handheld units and the new version includes trails that you have added to the database on the handheld. Neat features in theory, but to be blunt Delorme programming is poor, so I would doubt they would make good use of the API on the Ique.

Actually I am shocked that Garmin did not include a Palm Program that basicly emulated a handheld unit as well the other stuff.

A = A

It would seem like an NMEA gateway might be possible inside the thing, but managing the serial port (which is part of the spec) might have been the tricky part... better to put a wrapper around it and go with that.

Using the API is easier than writing a simple (but robust) NMEA interface, anyway. I did support for both today (fortunate to have them at the same time to do, instead of one earlier and one now), and I estimate the code for the iQue API at around 1.5 pages of code... the NMEA code (including the serial port stuff) was closer to 3-4. That's not counting a bit of code that was common between them.

The Ique has been great on the roads...fast routing, great screen, etc...it runs on the Palm OS 5, but does not support NMEA in/out...so, unless the API trick works, the GPS inside this is restricted to what Garmin provides. I confirmed this with Garmin tech support today. To bad, I think they missed it with this move as they will lose customers over it...

Other than that, I do like the unit for driving. Looking forward to CacheMate 2.1!

When I was using my Visor GPS combo I really, really liked using Xmap and Delorme TopoUSA together for recording my tracks and seeing where I am. The XMap topo maps are more detailed then a handhelds maps. The only downside being is that for all other functions XMap is useless.

So does the programs from Garmin for the iQue support Topo information. If not are any other programs plan either from Garmin or 3rd party?

Dan

A = A

Searching around the accessories page I found that the new National Parks West Topowill work the iQue. The detail looks great, probably as good as TopoUSA4 or better. Looks like it has trailheads and trails on there as well.

Now this is the kind of power I am looking for in a GPS! Now I just need to find some way to make this thing waterproof, float, shock protection, and provide at least 12 hours running time...

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

When I was using my Visor GPS combo I really, really liked using Xmap and Delorme TopoUSA together for recording my tracks and seeing where I am. The XMap topo maps are more detailed then a handhelds maps. The only downside being is that for all other functions XMap is useless.

So does the programs from Garmin for the iQue support Topo information. If not are any other programs plan either from Garmin or 3rd party?

Dan

A = A

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Maeglin:

I'll be releasing CacheMate 2.1 soon, which will handle the iQue GPS receiver (it doesn't do NMEA, that I know of... they have their own API for it), and will be able to put waypoints into the mapping system. It should be out in a week or two.

Can you post a link to your site so I can see some screen shots etc.

Thanks,