Auto-routing: what is it?

Bzzliteyr

Audio routing would definately be cool....as long as it was loud enough I guess...one thing about the V is that little beep isnt quite loud enough for my tastes..it works, but just barely...if teh kids were yelling or the stereo was up a little too loud you would never hear it....although it DOES beeps several times and visually alert you...

DZ

Audio prompting!

I just did an online shopping search for the Street Pilot III.

Looks like I was wrong about the SD memory. I know I heard of a change to SD.

Anyways it has 128m onboard. Even though the Garmin memory is expensive, you only have to pay for it once. 128m for $160-$180.

256m is alot of traveling. icon_cool.gif

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

Since you mentioned slots, from the "things that make ya say 'hmmmmm' department---

I have been reading my new Garmin V owners manual...

In the rear --

"The GPS V is water proof to IEC standard 52 IPX7. it can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. Prolonged submersion can cause damage to the unit. After submersion, be certain to remove the batteries and MAP CARTRIDGE and dry the compartments before use. "

There is one or two other refs to a "MAP CARTRIDGE" as well...

I wonder if this is just because they copy/pasted from one model's manual to this one or if this was a slip on upcoming releases?????

Most likely the first, but it never hurts to daydream a bit... icon_smile.gif

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Anyways it has 128m onboard. Even though the Garmin memory is expensive, you only have to pay for it once. 128m for $160-$180.

256m is alot of traveling. icon_cool.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_3600.jpg

_POWDER!!!!!!_

You can use your Meridian's SD memory cards in the Garmin PDA/GPS, and maybe there might be a untility to convert the Waypoint and tracklog files of the Meridian over to Garmin, so that you can use them in GPS mode on the iQue 3600. It has 320 x 480 which helps out alot with the map detail. Even with the automotive kit with the ique 3600, it is cheaper than a Street pilot, but not as rugged.

I have done caches with a direct goto GPS units but find that cache printouts and staring at the gps, while trying to drive toward the cache has gotten me very close to causing accidents. This is where a talking navigator really helps.

Im having a heck of a time, typing out this message on my laptop. Lots of error correcting here. You may notice that I haven't done much cachen lately, it's because of cronic fatigue. I can drive with the gps to the side,but tracking, also have to turn off the radio, so I can concentrate on driving. I may get the ique 3600, and sell my Platinum and my GPS 315. Autorouting should be used especially during lunch break, where you punch out, jump in the car and autoroute to a cache or two, then zip back to work to punch back in. I agree that driving to a cache on a direct goto can be half the fun. Here it is is good to have a friend with you to help with navigation. Autorouting usually does not get you the the appropriate parking area near a cache. You will have to drive around till you find the right entrance to the parking areas.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

256m is a lot of traveling. icon_cool.gif

Not so much heat buildup in the GPS forum as is the case with the General Forum board, to many hot flames over there. Im more interested in talking about technology, and trying to help people with their gps probs over here than messing around in General forum.

I have done caches with the Platinum, but the tracklogging is not as good as on the GPS V, Auto Detailed tracklogging is not as good as I want, and you cannot segment a Meridian tracklog. This caused me to buy a 2nd GPS V, and neglect the Platinum.

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on August 19, 2003 at 01:29 PM.]