Magellan 315 - any reason to buy a data cable? Software update?

jaedend

Hi, I'm fairly new to the geocaching game. I have a Megellan GPS 315 that I recieved for christmas about 4 years ago. I've never really used it until recently. The software version on the startup screen says I have version 2.03 and there is currently a 3.15 version available. I don't have a data cable, so I am wondering if it's worth buying one to update the software. Will it improve the accuracy of the unit? I don't seem to be getting very close coords on my caches so far. usually off by as much as .008

what other features might I be able to use on this unit if I did buy a data cable?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/upgrades/upgrade_gps315.asp

It lists a few things in the change list that seem helpful, I don't see where you could go wrong updating. There are probably way, way more improvements than what's listed, as they only list the latest on this page.

Not sure if it will improve the accuracy any, you're going to coordinated posted by someone else, with a GPSr of their own that's got a margin of error built into it as well.

Another benefit of the cable? Waypoint management, specifically not having to manually enter the waypoints by hand. You could download all the waypoints in your area at once, up them to your 315, and have them there. You could then search for nearest waypoints back at your car from a cache site, and kill a few birds with one stone icon_smile.gif

Check my scandalous stories, site, and my fishing skills

Where do I find the info on making my own cable? I can fabricate something that will allow me to fit to the Magellan 315, but I need to know what type of connector I need on the PC end, and which pins go to which connector. Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to the right spot. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jaedend:

Where do I find the info on making my own cable? I can fabricate something that will allow me to fit to the Magellan 315, but I need to know what type of connector I need on the PC end, and which pins go to which connector. Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me to the right spot. icon_smile.gif

Try this Magellan 315 Cable. That's the page I used to fabricate my own cable. I used an old serial mouse cable - it works a treat and saves oodles of time - good luck.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.