couple of etrex legend questions

1) i'd like to change the information that pops up when i turn on the unit. is there a way to do that? i've decided that i want to put my phone number on there and can't find the menu choice that allows me to do that.

2) when out caching yesterday, the Goto/compass feature seemed to be a bit off. the compass would show me the right direction until i had passed the cache and then the distance to the point would start rising again, but the compass would still be pointing me in a direction away from the cache. anyone have that problem?

1) somewhere on the main menu (I can't remember where just now) you can edit the start up informtion. At the top right, you have the X and the []. Go to the [] and click and see where the owner info page is. It might be under the setup or display as well.

2) You probably had a weak signal (tree cover, etc) and the GPS was just not reacting fast enough. If you continued along, it would evenutally point the right way. When close to a cache and I stop, my arrow and distance changes all the time. That's because if you're moving the GPS has much better accuracy.

Cheers

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

quote:
Originally posted by eightbit:

1) i'd like to change the information that pops up when i turn on the unit. is there a way to do that? i've decided that i want to put my phone number on there and can't find the menu choice that allows me to do that.

Go to the main menu, then to the options dropdown (the leftmost of the two buttons in the upper right corner of the screen). That takes you to the Owner Information screen which lets you do what you want.

quote:
2) when out caching yesterday, the Goto/compass feature seemed to be a bit off. the compass would show me the right direction until i had passed the cache and then the distance to the point would start rising again, but the compass would still be pointing me in a direction away from the cache. anyone have that problem?
It's not really a compass. It shows direction based on keeping track of which way you're moving. If you're not moving, or only moving a small amount, it doesn't show you any meaningful information.

I've had "issues" with the "compass" display. Early in my caching days I was looking for a cache in a park on my left. My Legend was telling me that it was in a car dealer's lot on my right! A GeoMuggle passed me by and said, "You look lost!" ...and there I was - holding my GPSr. How embarrassing!!! icon_rolleyes.gif I knew the cache was near a gazebo, so I asked the muggle for directions to the gazebo. I found the cache 2 minutes later.

One thing to keep an eye on with the Legend and Vista is that you have the compass screen set up as a bearing pointer, and not a course pointer. When you have it set to "course" all sorts of wierd things can happen. Works great for staying right on the line in your boat, but bearing is the only way to go when looking for a cache

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

When you have it set to "course" all sorts of wierd things can happen.

This implies that the GPS is somehow not working properly. It's doing exactly what you asked it to do. Any "weirdness" is do to operator misinterpretation.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Just wanted to reiterate the real problem with question 2:

IT'S NOT A COMPASS! You'd have had to spend another $100 to get an eTrex with a digital compass. You need to be moving steadily enough to overcome the natural error in the GPS system, then the unit can determine which way is North - but not if you're stopped.