Which Garmin MapSource CD for geocaching?

I use MetroGuide USA in my eMap, StreetPilot, eTrex Vista, and my PC. To be perfectly honest, MapSource Topo isn't very useful to me as a geocacher (or as a map freak). Most of the time, I'm looking for the correct street to get to the area of the geocache, and then I just follow the trails and the LPA (little pointy arrow).

If you are into serious backcountry travel and hiking, MapSource Topo is still of little use because it is 1:100000 scale. I use MapSource Topo on my PC for research but I use paper quads out in the field if I need topo data.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

is the source I usually use, even though I have the nationwide unlock code for my CitySelect CD. I think the Metroguide data is more up-to-date than the Roads & Rec data, but you can compare the various software packages using Garmin's Mapsource Map Viewer here.

Mapsource allows you to upload your maps without the autorouting data if you can't/don't use that feature, resulting in faster loads and room for more maps.

Worldtraveler

"Time's fun when you're having flies." - Kermit the frog

I'd recomend the Topo and Roads&Rec maps because their smaller memory footprint. You can pack more area into your Garmin Legend.

The Metroguide maps are large. While you can load as many as five or six maps, it usually isn't a large enough area to make it worth while. You may find it more useful to just use it from your PC instead.

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

To be perfectly honest, MapSource Topo isn't very useful to me as a geocacher (or as a map freak). Most of the time, I'm looking for the correct street to get to the area of the geocache, and then I just follow the trails and the LPA (little pointy arrow).

Today I found my first cache and observed an interesting phenomenon.

Details here

Now I understand your point. However, my observation and the comments I got about the faulty maps for handheld GPSRs raised another question:

Why to spend hundreds of bucks for maps when they may be useless? Are the mapping GPSRs of no real value, or is this only a problem with Garmin eTrex GPSRs?

[This message was edited by nemethmik on May 08, 2002 at 10:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by nemethmik:...Why to spend hundreds of bucks for maps when they may be useless? Are the mapping GPSRs of no real value, or is this only a problem with Garmin eTrex GPSRs?

They aren't useless. I use Mapsource Topo and Streets both on my computer and in my Vista as the major basis of routing to caches and other locations. However, if your question was posed , can your get from point A to point B without mapping GPSR's, Of course in the same way that driving with an auto club paper map instead of a routing GPS mounted on your dashboard can also get you from point A to point B.

ALan

I have the metroguide and Topo. I use the metroguide most of the time. I debated getting the roads and recreation, but after careful inspection, the metroguide had more detail on the roads, and was more than enough. The topo is nice if you're in heavily wooded areas.

------

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

I got the Roads & Recreation CD, but to be quite honest, I hardly ever actually use it. The maps are a bit off in areas, out of date in areas, and so forth. I do most of my planning with other mapping software, then once I get close, I use the GPS to get me on to the cache once I'm on foot.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Well you know what they say about opinions ...

so here's mine ... Metroguide for geocaching mostly (Vista by the way) ... if hiking is involved I'll load topo for the area (just for reference) and switch off the metro when hiking. But for most D&D (Drive & Drop ... my least favorite) caches ... just the Metroguide on the GPS.

On my computer for planning ... I use Del. StreetAtlas ... and if hiking is involved ... I use Maptech.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

What an arsenal of maps! I'm impressed. Until I make my final decision on which Mapsource version to buy, I've bought a relatively cheap mapping software ($30) Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002 with Pocket Streets 2002 for my iPAQ pocket PC. I loaded my area's map into the iPAQ, connected the eTrex Legend to it, and it worked. I know its a cunbersome solution because of the two devices and cabling, but its temporary.

All other maps are so terribly expensive icon_frown.gif compared to Microsoft's.

What an arsenal of maps! I'm impressed. Until I make my final decision on which Mapsource version to buy, I've bought a relatively cheap mapping software ($30) Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002 with Pocket Streets 2002 for my iPAQ pocket PC. I loaded my area's map into the iPAQ, connected the eTrex Legend to it, and it worked. I know its a cunbersome solution because of the two devices and cabling, but its temporary.

All other maps are so terribly expensive icon_frown.gif compared to Microsoft's.

You should get "RS-232 Serial Cable (Part Number 236251-B21)" for $26 (see www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/pc_connectivity.html). For this cable you do not have to use a null-modem and a gender changer, which would anyway be needed if you used "Serial Autosync Cable" (Part Number 191008-B21). Then simply connect the eTrex serial cable with this Compaq cable (they'll fit). The Compaq cable is short, but the eTrex cable is long enough.

Make sure the Targus portable keyboard (if you have one) driver be disabled, because it blocks the Compaq's built-in serial port. If you want to use both (keyboard and GPSr) you should buy a compact flash serial i/o card (e.g. www.socketcom.com/product/serial.htm)

[This message was edited by nemethmik on May 11, 2002 at 07:04 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by nemethmik:

You should get "RS-232 Serial Cable (Part Number 236251-B21)" for $26 (see http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/pc_connectivity.html). Then simply connect the eTrex serial cable with this Compaq cable (they'll fit). The Compaq cable is short, but the eTrex cable is long enough.

That is so very cool! I will consider that a nice option for my car/truck.

The best things in life are not things...

Watch for http://www.geoindiana.com coming soon!