best mapping software?

One big thumbs up for ExpertGPS, although I've never tried to use it with an Extrex (I have a Meridian).

A really solid program that's being updated frequently.

quote:
Originally posted by gmenglish:

using etrex yellow. what is the best software topo wise for it? I've seen expertgps and delorme. the garmin stuff doesn't look as good esp for the $$. Advice?

Does the yellow eTrex accept mapping software? Or are you just referring to software to print out maps? I had the eTrex Vista, & as all you could load into the unit was Mapsource, that's what I used. I was under the impression that yellow was not capable of loading mapping stuff into it. I have used DeLorme Topo for printing out paper maps,& although there's better out there, it worked out OK for me.

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

I have used Delorme TOPO USA 3.0, and MapTech Terrain Navigator 2001. I have used Expert GPS to a limited degree. Each has its advantages.

I also use Micrsoft Streets and Trips, for certain operations, as well, though it is not topographic.

Delorme is a nice topographic software, and reasonably priced. It is limited in its detail, however, and leaves out much of the elevation detail that you get with USGS Quads, as well as lacking the detail that I like to have when I am hiking. The more landmarks you have, the better, and TopoUSA simply leaves most of them out. HOWEVER, TopoUSA DOES have a good routing package. YOu just click on your start, and any intermediate waypoints, and your finish, and it creates the route for you. It does NOT optimize the route for you, however, so when I need an optimized route, I use MS Streets and Trips. Delorme also gets derailed if your waypoints do not have roads/trails going to them, or at least pretty close, which is something MS S&T compensates for. Again, however, S&T is not topographic, so for hiking is basically useless.

Expert GPS is not something I have used extensively, but what I do know, I like. You can use a variety of different maps, including topoquads and aerial photos, and overlay waypoints, routes, and tracks on any supported map format. It also has a nice GPS interface, and supports tracking in a vehicle if you have a laptop. Delorme also does this, and is pretty slick the way it does. With Delorme, you can also record a trip (although I am not sure why you would) which is a neat "gee whiz" feature. Delorme's waypoint editor is easy to use, but for me, the GPS interface has been nothing but headaches. Uploading/downloading waypoints is only semi-reliable, at best, and is an all-or-nothing affair that takes painfully long. Tracks are a less temperamental, but similarly lengthy ordeal.

Maptech is my personal favorite. It contains all the USGS 1/24,000 and 1/100,000 topographic maps for the area you purchase, has a good waypoint editor, GPS tracking, 3D map rendering (Delorme also does this, but Maptechs superior detail renders better maps. Additionally, the viewer interface for Maptech allows many more viewing options than Delorme, which makes it a lot easier to get the view of the terrain you are looking for. Both Maptech and Delorme have downloadable demos on their websites that will give you a good idea of their functions. Routing in Maptech is extremely easy. Although it will not calculate a route for you, (Many USGS maps are rather old, so odds are the roads are out of date anyway) it shows a lot more trails and backroads than Delorme does. You simply use your line drawing tool to trace the route on the map that you want, then tell the software to create a route from your line. This is automatic, and customizable, and uploads to the GPS are customizable as well. You can select to upload all, some, or one waypoint, route, etc. to your GPS, greatly reducing the upload time. Downloads are also customizable, except that it downloads all the waypoints in the GPS, and you select the ones you want to accept into Maptech. For laptop users, Maptech also supports GPS tracking, although for the reasons stated (sometimes old USGS topo maps) the tracks shown do not always correspond to the roads. This is not a issue for concern, however, since hiking and backcountry travel is what Maptech is designed for, and is where it really shines. Maptech and Delorme both provide elevation profiles for routes/tracks, which also is quite handy when planning a hike.

Okay, now COST.

I purchased Delorme for $50. I got MT,CO,UT,WY and ID.

I paid $150 for Maptech, and got UT and CO. I know you can get Delorme, the whole US (excluding AK, I think) for $90.

I don't think Maptech offers a whole USA package. (It would be very $$$.) The Delorme I got included 2 disks, one for setup, and one for data. Maptech included 16 disks, plus one for enhanced elevations data, plus another for setup. That gives you an idea of the detail of Maptech, compared with Delorme.

Anyway, I can tell you that while I paid three times as much for less area with Maptech, it is what I use most, and I feel I got my money's worth. I do not travel out of state a whole lot, and when I do, I just use paper topos or Topozone for hikes.

For the outdoorsman who travels around the US a lot, it is obvious that Delorme is the best choice. For $90 you can get a lot of coverage, although the detail is lacking. If you combine it with paper topos, you will be fine. If you stay in a region most of the time, and want to use your software for routefinding and serious backcountry navigation, then Maptech is your best bet. Additionally, if you do go with Delorme, you will need to use Easy or Expert GPS or something else to handle your waypoint management, since Delorme's is simply inadequate.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I purchased Delorme for $50. I got MT,CO,UT,WY and ID.

Anyway, I can tell you that while I paid three times as much for less area with Maptech, it is what I use most, and I feel I got my money's worth. I do not travel out of state a whole lot, and when I do, I just use paper topos or Topozone for hikes.

For the outdoorsman who travels around the US a lot, it is obvious that Delorme is the best choice. For $90 you can get a lot of coverage, although the detail is lacking. ... Additionally, if you do go with Delorme, you will need to use Easy or Expert GPS or something else to handle your waypoint management, since Delorme's is simply inadequate.

It should be noted that DeLorme has two topographic mapping products. Bunkerdave's comments above are referring only to the TopoUSA product. They also offer the 3DTopoQuad product which uses the same 1:24000 USGS maps as a basis as MapTech, Nat'l Geographic/Wildflower, and others. It does cost more than TopoUSA, but also offers much more detail.

Did anybody find out if a Garmin GPS will take any other software? I really like the features of my Garmin Legend except the Mapsource software. That Maptech is 100 times better software but, it wont download. Please let me know if you find something to blend the two as it would be a nice marriage.

Thanks,

Dean

GeoNW

I'm a little or perhaps alot confused.

The confusion starts with infosponge's response to a very simple question. I was under the impression that mapping software that can be uploaded to our units was only available from that being offered by GPS manufacturer. As an example, I am in the process of purchasing a Magellan Platinum unit. I understand the only mapping software available is their (mapsend) programs.

Am I correct?

Why do people always talk about these other software programs if they can't be used by they're units.

I've seen plenty of good looking maps that seem to be faily detailed on other web sites. Can those be printed and used in conjunction with the basic GPS unit as shipped, and forget about the software manufactured by Magellan?.

HELP!

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by player:

I'm a little or perhaps alot confused.

The confusion starts with infosponge's response to a very simple question. I was under the impression that mapping software that can be uploaded to our units was only available from that being offered by GPS manufacturer. As an example, I am in the process of purchasing a Magellan Platinum unit. I understand the only mapping software available is their (mapsend) programs.

Am I correct?

Why do people always talk about these other software programs if they can't be used by they're units.

I've seen plenty of good looking maps that seem to be faily detailed on other web sites. Can those be printed and used in conjunction with the basic GPS unit as shipped, and forget about the software manufactured by Magellan?.

HELP!

Thanks

You are correct in that for uploading maps to the unit, you need to use the map software provided by the GPS manufacturer. However, you can download the track, route, and waypoint information on your GPS to any of several mapping programs. Since most of these programs offer a lot of options that the Garmin and Magellan programs do not offer, most people use these other programs to keep track of things on their computer.

Hope this helps.

Let me see if I understand correctly. If I have a MeriGold and DeLorme TopoUSA 3.0 I would be able to send waypoints from the MeriGold (upload) but not from the TopoUSA software (download). If I create a route from point A to point B with waypoints along the route in TopoUSA I could not send this info. to my MeriGold? This may sould like I'm very dense but I have never tried any of this stuff before. Thanks in advance. icon_confused.gif

Let me see if I understand correctly. If I have a MeriGold and DeLorme TopoUSA 3.0 I would be able to send waypoints from the MeriGold (upload) but not from the TopoUSA software (download). If I create a route from point A to point B with waypoints along the route in TopoUSA I could not send this info. to my MeriGold? This may sould like I'm very dense but I have never tried any of this stuff before. Thanks in advance. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wow!:

Actually you can send waypoint and route information back and forth from each. However, if you wanted to load detailed maps into your MeriGold (ie, maps with topo lines, street name, points of interest), then you would have to buy MapSend.

As long as you are just working with route and waypoint data, you can use pretty much use whatever mapping software you want. You only need the GPS manufacturers software to load maps into your GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by Wow!:

Actually you can send waypoint and route information back and forth from each. However, if you wanted to load detailed maps into your MeriGold (ie, maps with topo lines, street name, points of interest), then you would have to buy MapSend.

As long as you are just working with route and waypoint data, you can use pretty much use whatever mapping software you want. You only need the GPS manufacturers software to load maps into your GPS.

Trango, Thank you for your reply. I think it's starting to sink in.

When I receive my magellan I'm sure it will all come together.

As I see it now for more detailed maps (streets, POI etc.), I am forced to get the manufacturers more detailed offering in Mapsend whatever.

If I use waypoints, routes etc . created with outside (compatable) mapping software and download it to my base map housed in the unit, what will I be giving up.

Do most people buy their maps from their GPS manufacturer or will the process previously, described be satisfactory. (I Will use the unit for metal detecting, geocaching and some travel.)

Thanks to all who respond.

quote:
Originally posted by player:

As I see it now for more detailed maps (streets, POI etc.), I am forced to get the manufacturers more detailed offering in Mapsend whatever.

If I use waypoints, routes etc . created with outside (compatable) mapping software and download it to my base map housed in the unit, what will I be giving up.

Do most people buy their maps from their GPS manufacturer or will the process previously, described be satisfactory. (I Will use the unit for metal detecting, geocaching and some travel.)

If you do not buy the manufacturer's software, the only thing you really give up is the ability to load detailed maps to your GPSr.

I have bought the MapSend software for my MeriGold since part of the reason for buying the mapping GPSr was to load it with maps. However, I do most of my tracking, routes, and waypoint management with another software package (in large part because I use a Mac and this way I do not have to boot into VPC just to manage waypoints). If you are not sure you want the detailed maps on your GPSr, or just want to experiment before making another purchase, just get one of the other mapping programs (many are free or have trial versions) and play with it.