MAG PLATINUM-BATTERY COVER ?

ANYONE WITH A MAGELLAN PLATINUM,DOES YOUR BATTERY COVER NOT SEAT FLUSH WITH THE UNIT ITSELF?MY UNIT IS NEW OUT OF THE BOX BUT THE BATTERY COVER DOES NOT SIT COMPLETELY FLUSH WITH THE UNIT.SEEMS TO ME THAT WOULDNT BE VERY WATERPROOF AS THEIR CLAIM IS TO BE.I DONT PLAN ON SWIMMING WITH IT BUT THIS IS OREGON AND IT DOES RAIN A BIT HERE. icon_confused.gif

Bull, I agree. The battery case seems to be the weakest link in the waterproof chain.

If I run my finger around the edge of the battery cover, I can feel that it's misaligned by a fraction of an inch. The problem is not quite large enough to see, but I can feel it.

I have enough confidence to use my GPS in the rain, but I would never purposely submerge it or use it in a situation where it might get sprayed. Not without some sort of cover, at least.

By the way, could you turn off your cap locks? It's hard to read, and you come across as shouting.

Jamie

I have a Meridian Platinum as well and felt the same way when I saw the gap between the cover and the unit itself. However, when I looked closer I noticed that the actual waterproofing (water entering the battery compartment) comes from the rubber seal around the battery compartment and the raised plastic that corresponds to it on the battery cover. I think the seal is pretty robust once you clip it into place. I could be wrong since I haven't had the courage to submerge it yet. I guess there could be an issue with water getting in through the screw holes.....who knows.

I've got a MeriPlat, too, and have noticed the battery covers apparent not-tight fit, as well as the rubber gasket in there. I've also had the same question for some time, looked everywhere for an answer with no luck.

The specs for the MeriPlat (and other Meridians)say it complies with IEC-529 IPX7 standard. Sweet! Great! What the heck does that mean!? Can I go SCUBA diving with it? (Another topic: Underwater caches!) Will a drop of rain fry the unit?

Anyone know what these standards mean? Or where to find what they mean? Or has anyone had any practical experiance with thier Meridian and water? Can I take my MeriPlat kayaking or should I keep it in a waterproof case on humid days?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey

Ipx7 means it can be kept under 1 meter of water for 30 min.

But even with that rating you may want to get a wateproof bag (like an aqua pak)for it since a wave or a drop into the water may far exceede the rating (a splash of water has more force than being held under water).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I also noticed the gap that you speak of. When I first noticed, I was worried. Then I saw the actual seal that is further in from the edge of the battery cover. That made me feel much better. I decided to go ahead and test it out! So, here is a pic that I just took. Infosponge is right...

Batteries installed, and backlight on:

icon_biggrin.gif

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!

I removed the batteries and inserted trimmed pieces of paper towel into the compartment. I submerged it into a water pitcher for 1 minute and then let it drain and wiped it off. Removing the cover I noted water around the battery compartment but not one drop wetted the towels.

I am satisfied that the seal around the batteries and card on my Meridian is a good one.

don

I took pictures, but embarrassingly, I never learn how to upload to the forum.

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 10, 2003 at 06:48 PM.]

A little more research and I stumbled on the answer to my own question (actually, my brother did):

Waterproof standard IEC IPX (level 7) means "waterproof under full submersion to a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes." (This is the same as JIS 7.)

So if you plan on SCUBA-caching be sure to put your Meridian in a good ziploc baggie; but you can take it in the bath tub with you w/o a problem.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

A bunch previous posts showed up right after I posted. !?!? Are the forums going funny, or am I going mad? Or both??

Just ignore me...

Hi folks. Interesting waterproofness test on your MeriPlat there, BajaTaco [icon_biggrin.gif].

For those of you not following another thread, I'm working on a gps receiver hardware project.

Just wanted to say that my goal is watertightness *better* than IPX 7 or JIS 7 standards...while still being able to be floatable.

Quality Control will be top-notch, or I won't market it!

Just my .02c.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

I don't recommend the testing in the bath tub for every one. I did it a while back (when it was still under warranty) and found it leaked on the side because one of the screw was lose (the battery door was fine). I got it working a gain by shaking (I had the unit onat the time) all the water out and straping it to a fan so the air could go through the battery door and into the SD slot and dry stuff out. But the backlight changed colors (like the blue light problems). I eventually got around to sending it to magellan, but said it was because ofthe bluespot problem not water damage (it did have the blue spot problem too).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.