Basic Visor PDA

frefel

Depends on what you want to do with it. Since your a premium member, and if you want to do paperless caching, you'll need a memory module which you can pick up on EBAY.Then you'll be able to use Mobipocket or Plucker and the pocket queries. Otherwise you'll be very limited to small programs such as Hint Decoder (6k) or Geocaching DB (202k).

Space really isn't an issue for me since I have a Visor Pro w/16 meg. I also have a Magellan Gps Companion as my back up Gps.

Good Luck!

glh

quote:
Originally posted by frefel:

I use the basic Handspring Visor with only 2 megs of storage for my daily needs. Is there any useful Geocaching I can do with this unit or do I need to buy a different one?

frefel

It will limit the size of your database, but I would consider it usable. Try Cachemate. Then you can load the rest of the memory with as much data as it can hold.

I've got over 1,000 benchmarks and 73 caches and my Palm shows Cachemate at just under 2M of memory. Sound useful to you?

I had a Visor Delux but found it two slow to handle the Magellan GPS Companion. It may work but these 16Mhz PDA's will be slow and cumbersome to operate. I was forever having problems getting an initial fix after powering it up. The faster (33Mhz+) Visors will give you better results.

I'm a little suprised at the disparaging answers you're hearing.

If all you're doing on the visor is running geocaching pages and you're using a program that doesn't suck a 2MB unit will still be a marked step forward from notebooks of paper.

I have a program that writes output very much like GPX2HTML. Though I recommend the larger memory, I remember being able to hold about 400 cache descriptions and Plucker in a 2 megger. Granted this was the ONLY thing in that Visor, so if you're using it for something else in addition to geocaching, there may be some tradeoffs.