Save your waypoints and your batteries

Rabbit 282

This may have already made its way through the forums. If so, I appologize.

I found this a few days ago and was pretty ecstatic. I've always been frustrated that I can external power my GPSr in the car OR hook it to my PC (why did Magellan designed the adapter this way...?). I didn't want to buy a separate AC120 to DC12 converter just to power my GPS when downloading waypoints. This thing inspired me to fix that problem.

Of course I'm sure this comercial model works great and looks fancy, but a) I didn't have an open slot in the front of my machine and ;) I don't care about asthetics. Not to mention $20 is a hefty price for such a simple toy. I built one of my own for about 3 bucks and less than an hour of work. It's not pretty, but it works great!

Enjoy!

Hehe...I like it! I currently use a desktop 13v power supply to power a few mobile radio devices and it just so happens to have a 12v cigarette socket. I also use the 12v/data cable combo whenever I up/download from the GPS. It sure helps save batteries in those instances where I forget to shut it off when I'm done icon_smile.gif

Kar

Actually, Magellan DID give you a choice of power, data, or both. They make all three permutations of cables.

But for GPSBabel development and other times when I want to "power up" in my chair, I use a 12v cigarette transformer that I got for $3 out of a bargain bin in an office supply store to power a PDA. It's not unlike RadioShack 22-505.

A more interesting project sometime when I have time on my hands is to whip out the soldering iron and gut a USB->serial converter, splice the power rails ont he USB line (a max of 500MA at 5V in an enumerated state) into the power regulator and get power _and_ serial data from one USB hose...

P.S. I grew up in Murphysboro/Carbondale area...

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

My son and I are planing to build cables like http://www.pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/zimmerman/cable.html for our Garmins.

Hmmm. Interesting - but notice that they are not dropping the 5 volts. Some GPS models will take it, others will fry. Better make sure which one yours is.

Also keep in mind that gpsgeek has data/power cables for $13.20 for cigarette power and $19.95 for AC power. Since the connector itself runs about $7 - $8, it may not be worth the time it takes to buld a cable.

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Actually, Magellan DID give you a choice of power, data, or both. They make https://www.magellangps.com/en/store/productListDetail.asp?segment=Cables of cables.

Yeah, the problem I was fixing was the lack of 12vDC cigarette lighters in my home, let alone near my computer. Not to mention, now I can light up without going to find the lighter in my jacket- very helpful in the middle of an all night edit session. Why did no one tell me my computer was 12vDC before? So many possibilities!

USB info and power on the same cable seems only logical. Unfortunately, Magellan hasn't even figured out the common sense of using USB yet. And don't remind me of their overpriced serial to USB converter cable.

I REALLY enjoy the Southern Illinois area for this sport- so many great places you had to grow up with!

/Benjamin