Need help with Magellan Sportrak Pro and uploading waypoints

AR-15

I have a Magellen Sportrak Pro that I am trying to upload my existing list of waypoints back into the GPS unit. I had to download the waypoints to download the latest software update (V1.00C) that I recieved with my Magellan MapSend Streets software.

Anyway, when I first check the connection with the "Options/GPS Settings" commands in MapSend, the PC will successfully detect the Sportrak Pro. When I go to upload the waypoints, I get an error message saying there is no connection or the GPS unit is off. When I go back to Options/GPS Settings menu, it shows the comm port as "Busy" and will not reconnect. It advise to have the "NMEA" off and everytime I check it, it is off. I have the baud rate set at 4800.

What's the problem and how do I correct it?

Thanks,

AR-15

Do you have any other devices on your PC that use the com port. Typical divices that hang onto the com port are Palm (HotSync cradle) devices, etc. Make sure they are all turned off and try again. Note that even though you may have the device unplugged, the device driver is still probably in memory and needs to be stopped. That should then free up the com port.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

If you still have trouble, you will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting. How you get to the Device Manager depends a lot on which OS you have.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by AR-15:

I had to download the waypoints to download the latest software update (V1.00C) that I recieved with my Magellan MapSend Streets software.

You mean to UPload the latest firmware to the receiver?

But the current firmware version for the SporTrak Pro is V4.06, so what are you talking about?

Cornix

I think the latest version of mapsend streets (basic) is 1.1. I don't think it is available from magellans website anymore, but I think it is in the yahoo meridian groups file section.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by AR-15:

TWO, I don't have anything else plugged into the PC other than the normal mouse/keyboard.

TL, how do I check the comm port on the PC? I'm doing a search right now with no results. I have Windows XP.

Thanks,

AR-15

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this. The servers have been pretty maxed out serving up requests. In XP, you will need to right click your "My Computer" either on the desktop or in the Start menu and select Manage. Look for and select Devices in the left column, and then scroll down the right column to ports.

How you get to your BIOS depends largely upon the vendor of the motherboard. The two common ways are listed in order of popularity:

During bootup, press Del when you see the prompt at the bottom of the screen.

During bootup, press the F2 key when you see the prompt at the bottom or top of the screen..

Cheers!

TL

OK, I uploaded V4.06 last night and, despite it rebooting my PC twice, I finally uploaded the new firmware to the GPS unit.

While hooked up and running, I downloaded my file of waypoints and 4 regions that I had previously created. Everything works now, but don't ask me what I did to make it work.

OBTW: Magellan has the worse help instructions on the planet. Nothing went as described in either their MapSend Streets Help files nor on their site for uploading the new firmware.

Thanks,

AR-15

I bought a SporTrak Map 2 weeks ago with a mfg date code of 08/03. It had firmware 4.02 loaded. I downloaded 4.06 today and applied it. It worked like a charm. Win XP, no settings changed on either PC or GPSr from bog standard. The new almanac means that it acquires sats in a tenth of the time it previously did. Big improvement.

Magellan's tech support here in he UK has an invalid telephone number. Anyone got any idea if they will still fix an old ColorTrak?

Roger