SportTrak Pro and Sats?

iweb

A friend has a SportTrak Pro and I have a Platinum. I get sats in a couple of minutes or less and his takes like 10-15 minutes or more to get sats and this was like 10 times today. We checked all of our settings and they were the same. Any idea on how to get the Pro to get sats quicker?? Thanks.

I have a STP and don't remember ever taking 10 minutes to lock on sats - as long as I'm not indoors. I'd exchange it. Hope you bought it from a reputable company.

I did compare with a Merrigold on a day where sats were pretty rare and the gold did track better as well as WAAS'd faster. After the STP finally locked on to WAAS, it seemed to be more accurate.

I agree with dustystar, your friend sounds like he has a defective unit. My sportrak rarely takes more than a minute to lock, and will grab hold of them and not let go all day long. I have friends with sportraks and I've never heard of any of them having this problem.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Reinitialize it a couple of times. I've never had my SportrakPro ever take that long. The only exception was when I flew from STL to Orlando. Never used the Pro during the flight and when we got outside it took almost 15 minutes to find the satelites. Then again that was all my fault since it assumed we were still in St. Louis and was looking for the wrong birds in the wrong places.

I may be way off base here, but might it be possible that low batts could be a cause of this sort of problem? I am a newbie to GPS, but I have seen low batteries cause some weird, squirrely behavior in other types of hand-held electronics.

Just a thought...

Case