Garmin Rino - Will You Buy?

I said no for a couple of reasons. In our family we already have two GPSr's and four FRS's. (not two mention two cell phones)

Until such time as we have enough disposable income to buy new units just because they are "Cool" we'll be using what we have.

Secondly, I tried my sisters little yellow etrex and I didn't like it's limitations. From what I can tell from the Garmin website these will use basically the same tracking screens as the Etrex. True it's a great little starter GPSr and fine for Geocaching, but if I'm spending close to $200 to 'upgrade' I want it to be a real upgrade in all respects and that includes software/firmware.

smile02.gif

My issue is with the radio end of it. I have an FRS already, and it's my understanding that while you may get more range with the GFRS, you will only see that increase on flat land. Heck where I have wanted to use my radios, I have not been able to contact my wife on the other end from as little as half a mile away, why? Because these things don't do well in hilly or heavily treed areas. Get on the other side of a ridge, even if you are only a tenth of a mile away, and your signal is worthless, may as well shout at each other. What I am wanting to see is better cell phone coverage, perhaps something akin to satellite but without the high cost, and then a GPSr/cell combo.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

My only problem with the Rino is that one of the big advantages of GMRS is you can put a better/external antenna on it. You won't be able to do this with the Rino. That removes alot of the advantage of GMRS. Also, what is the power output on this unit? Is it going to be the maximum for a GMRS handheld, 5W? Or will Garmin restrict the output to say 2W? Too many questions to make a real decision yet....

AtP

Edit:

I voted "Tempted"

[This message was edited by Atilla the Pun on May 02, 2002 at 10:46 PM.]

I voted tempted. We'll see. Hopefully they will come up with one on the 440 ham bands. FRS does nothing for me really, too over crowded and too much band/power restrictions. If they come out with a version in the ham bands I would really be tempted as then it may work with existing GPS/Ham Radio networks allready in place. Namely APRS.

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

mdgps11.gif

I like the general idea of the combo device, but I really can't see my need for it. 95% of my caching is done with my girlfriend, and we usually stick within eyesight of each other; if one of us got lost, we both carry whistles.

If I had a large group that I regularly went camping and/or hiking with, and we often split up, then I'd certainly consider the purchase. But until I stop being anti-social, I'll stick with my Legend.

15701_700.jpg

I have preordered a Rino 120. I voted I intend to buy one but, if I like this as much as I think I will, then I will purchase a 110. I see no need to have 2 120's. You have a 120 as the main and a 110 as the secondary.

As for reception, it has an antennae that is external and is "supposed to" have better reception in tree cover. I like my e-trex except for the lack of decent reception in tree cover.

I like the idea of GPRS. I am a ham and have several HT's I can carry with me. The only problem is I am the only one in my family that has a license. With GPRS you only need one license. It is my understanding that quite a few people are putting up repeaters in this range of frequencies.

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association