Mapping Software Questions

jfb

I really need the help of you folks who have purchased and are using some good mapping software. I am looking for software that will allow me to download waypoints, trails and symbols onto a map. Then I want to print the map out in good detail, topo relief, and colors. I would also like to be able to attach my GPSr to my laptop and have real time moving map data. I looked at the National Geographic mapping software for $100.00 and like what it produced, but I wasn't able to find out if it had the moving map feature.

Could someone please give me some advise and/or information on whatever software you use?

Thank you.

NG TOPO! will work great with your laptop for live tracking and will allow you to print out waypoints, trails, track and markers.

I have found it best if you load all the cd's right to your hard drive and not keep changing cd's in and out.

Also, go to NG's website and get their TOPO SYNC program and this will let you add notes, photos and such to a waypoint. I have not yet done that part but the directions are all there on the page.

If this makes no or little sense, I have been up way to many hours lately.

Sorry for any confusion.

logscaler

"It is not fair to have a battle of wits with unarmed people."

You may have to pick which features are important. The NG software will do live tracking. And it has a great feature that Delorme doesn't have. NG allows you to select how little or much data is displayed for a waypoint. When you move the cursor over the waypoint the description is popped up. I found this great for Geocaching. Also if you needed more info, in NG the waypoint list was the width of the screen, in Delorme the waypoint list was a little and I mean little window that you had to scroll around in. The Delorme did an excellent job of creating routes. It could automaticly create a route on a road or even a trail. The NG required you to draw the route or connect a lot of waypoints, yuch. You included "download symbols", I may have been doing something wrong, but I could get NG to import only the default waypoint symbol.

"It's a dull mind that spells a word one way"

I've been using DeLorme software on my laptop for a while now, and am very satisfied with it. Mostly this has been Street Atlas USA, but I recently got the Topo USA package and am looking forward to trying it out! SA will do live positioning when connected to a GPSr, and save the tracks. (You can even replay the trip if you so desire!) It has the ability to print full color maps as well, on a single page or multiple pages. For the topo stuff you'd want Topo USA, which looks like it has the features you ask for. I've not tried the NG stuff, so can offer no comparison, but have been very happy planning my geocaching trips with Street Atlas!