Unit selection

josh02

Meridian vs. Vista

I am using this unit for hiking and geocaching, not while driving or anything like that.

Like the Meridian size and res.

Vista will most likely be cheaper.

Meridian has upgradable memory.

Quad antenna on the Meridian

Vista seems to get better reviews on this board.

Thoughts???

I chose Garmin Etrex Legend when getting my first GPSr recently; I like the larger size of the Meridian, and its expandability, quad helix antenna, and the fact that it floats; but I prefer the Garmin user interface, and its resolution is much better than the Meridian (Garmin= 160 x 288, Meridian= 120 x 160), even if the Garmin screen is slightly smaller. Maps display very nicely on it, and as yet I haven't had need of more than the 8mb memory it comes with (though the Vista's 24mb would be a nice addition).

Nyarlotep

"God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate him"

I'd love to have the upgradeable memory, but I greatly prefer the size of the Vista, and the bang-for-the-buck doesn't compare IMHO.

I can get all but 4 small areas of AZ on my Vista's available memory, so I can't complain. When I prepare for my Montana/Wyoming vacation, I'll see just how many areas I can squeeze in for both regions.

Brian

Team A.I.