Rating newer GPS units?

KA7CJH

I would like to replace my older magellan 2000Xl with one of the newer models out there these days. My problem is I have seen many people say there particular model is best. I need some real unbiased feedback as to which one would be best for casual Geocaching. The new GPS would probably be used for other outdor activities too. So if you want to help a fellow cacher out then please let me know what you think.

Thanks Renopanner

ICQ 317804.

I have a Meridian Color and a Meridian Green.

The color is way too expensive, but I use it for driving, too.

That said, the color has a brighter screen (and eats rechargeable batteries, but I have spares) and the Color seems to be more sensitive to weak satellite signals.

The Green gets fewer satellite locks, gets them slower, and does not seem to be as accurate in the woods as the color.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

You didn't really say what your were hoping the upgrade would produce. As I recall, the early 2000XL's were two channel sequential receivers, while fairly early in production, they switched to true 12 channel receivers. If you have one of the 12 channel units (Does it generally get a lock in under 2 minutes?) you probably won't see that great a difference in perfromance when you upgrade.

Some of the things you can get are primarily software improvements.

Just about everything has WAAS nowdays, which can boost accuracy somewhat in the right conditions. You can also get mapping capability, which depending on your use can make the receiver quite a bit more useful.

My advice would be to visit the website mentioned by phantom, and search out the features, and possibly map's you're interested in, then pick a unit that has the features that suit you the best. The main reason you see so many different opinions as to which is best, is primarily because they're all pretty good, but there are features, and charactaristics of the different units that work better for some than others.

Good luck

You basically need to figure out exactly what you want to do with it and what you want out of it.

I choose a Garmin etrex Vista,,, becuase: i want something small, for when I go hiking all the time, and can easily clip it to my hat, backpack, vest, etc. ...... Plus it is water proof for those wet rainy days,,,,, and I HAD to have the map display capibility...... plus, I am more impressed by Garmin vs. Magellen. I find that the software from Garmin is alittle better, and more accurate.

Like I said, find out what youu want from the upgrade,,,, what is youur main use for it? Hiking, biking, automobile? Mine is great for hiking, but not that good for in the car, becuase of its small screen,,you cant really just keep it on the dash and look at it.

As far as signal lock..... most all new units are the same, except the ones with quad helix antennas are better.

Compare Compare Compare, thats the way to go, ,,, list the options you HAVE to have,,, find which unit has that ,,plus some extras (such as eletronic compass and elevation), that is in your price range.

Plus.... --- someone correct me if im wrong --- but I think its easier to find good accessories for Garmin. Such as mounts and cases.

www.gpscity.com has a good comparision feature.