Meridian GPS off a bit

bailuck

I have a new Meridian GPS and it seems to be off a bit. I located a cache and sat there for about ten minutes. My GPS unit indicated I was about 60 feet away from the spot. No trees were in the way, but the sky was very cloudy.

It was also off about 40 feet while standing at a benchmark.

Can anyone help me fix this or is there anything I can do?

What version is your unit running. It list the version when it starts up, or you can get to it by hitting the menu button on any screen then scrolling to "about" where it will be listed.

It is reported that firmware 4.02 (and I believe 4.06) suck. I tend to believe that, I just got my platinum back from magellan loaded with 4.06. I had it acquiring sats for a few hours before I went out and tried it. I found that I rarely returned to the same spot with any consistency, and my tracklog was varied greatly from what it should be.

After noticing these changes (which normally did not happen with 3.12) I went and downgraded my unit back to 3.12. I then redid the test(as soon as it was done uploading and getting sat lock. approx 5-10 min) and I could return to the same point pretty routinely, also the tracklog landed right on top of each other.

I know this is not really a scientific test, but to me it means that I will be sticking with 3.12 until something new comes out.

Also 60ft is not out side of the range of our GPSr, so it may just be normal behavior.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on March 19, 2003 at 08:36 PM.]

What was the accuracy when you was 40 feet away? Assume you had accuracy of 20 feet and the person who hid it had 20 feet but in the other direction then that would acount for the 40 feet, many caches in wooded areas are off by this much and more. Once you get close then it is time to look for good hiding spot. I always look for a place that I would use myself and most of the time "there it is"