New Rechargeable Battery

Still a little skeptical ... quick charge hasn't equaled output and battery life so far ... and if it's that far out ... sounds like they're still a way off perfecting it. Looks more like they're trying to up stock value by press releases. Whew ... do I have an attitude this morning or what? icon_biggrin.gif

348_2602.gif

Still a little skeptical ... quick charge hasn't equaled output and battery life so far ... and if it's that far out ... sounds like they're still a way off perfecting it. Looks more like they're trying to up stock value by press releases. Whew ... do I have an attitude this morning or what? icon_biggrin.gif

348_2602.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I've seen 1800mah NiMH's but I've never found out what the rating of the typical alkaline battery is?

They're usually about 2800 mA-hr which looks really high, but needs a caveat. The mA-hr ratings are done with a very low current load - usu. only 20 mA. Alkaline cells can deliver their total charge very efficiently when the current is kept that low, but with their high internal resistance, they can't deliver nearly as much total energy when the current draw increases. At the typical GPSR current drain of 100-150 mA, the alkaline cells have a capacity of around 1800 mA-hr, or about the same as the better NiMH cells. And at the even higher currents of 200-500 mA of some digital cameras the capacity of alkalines drops even lower to significantly less than 1000 mA-hr. That's why NiMH cells are frequently advertised as outperforming alkalines in uses such as digital cameras while they're about equal per charge in GPSRs.

I was in the local Wallyworld a few days ago looking at FRS radios and noticed that Energizer now has 1700mAh NiMH batteries. They are not the old blue and gold, but rather green and silver. I think they were at the same price as the 1600mAh, a 4 pack for $11.97

Just thought I would pass the word.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

I was in the local Wallyworld a few days ago looking at FRS radios and noticed that Energizer now has 1700mAh NiMH batteries. They are not the old blue and gold, but rather green and silver. I think they were at the same price as the 1600mAh, a 4 pack for $11.97

rdw

My local Fry's (2 miles away icon_biggrin.gif) has the Energizer 1700's you mentioned...I forget for how much but they also have the Lenmar NoMem Pro 1800mAh for $9.95 for a 4 pack. This -may- be an error on Fry's part since the Fry's sticker says they are 1700's but the batteries and their packaging says they are 1800's

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

rdw

My local Fry's (2 miles away icon_biggrin.gif) has the Energizer 1700's you mentioned...I forget for how much but they also have the Lenmar NoMem Pro 1800mAh for $9.95 for a 4 pack. This -may- be an error on Fry's part since the Fry's sticker says they are 1700's but the batteries and their packaging says they are 1800's