Compact Flash GPS and XTrac recommendations?

Texplorer

Greetings;

I've done a few geocache hunts with friends and decided to buy my first GPS unit. Entry-level standalone units seem to run around $100. I've also noticed that the entry-level GPS CF cards are also around that price.

Since I have an Axim I've decided to try a CF card over a modular or standalone GPS unit. I'm aware of the breakage risk, but honestly I think I'll get more use out of the unit if it integrates with something I already use frequently. With the new IIe/LP chipset I've seen observations of 4 hour battery life for the PDA and GPS. PocketPC programs for basic navigation are free or cheap as well, so I think it's worth trying.

So... I'm curious if anybody out there has experience with existing models like the Holux GM-270 or the GlobalSat BC-307, or if you've had positive experiences with other models.

On a related note, the new Xtrac version of the chipset (used in models like the Fortuna Pocket Xtrack "Two-in-One" IIe/Xtrac or the Holux GM-270 Ultra) seem to be ideal for geocaching with a lower threshold for satellite pickup and averaging algorithms. Of course, they're also selling for $170-$200, so I was curious if anyone has actually used these under foliage/in canyons and actually noticed a difference.

Thanks!

Texplorer

All the antennas stick out lots. After a few hikes they may start to loosen up with the CF card, mine has already. If pushing 200 isn't that bad of an option. Buy one of each. CF and the Dell work great in the car getting you close to the cache, then a basic etrex or sport track once your in the field. Unless you do a ton of driving that you'll need mapping, you be much happier with a stand alone GPSr if you main use is Geocaching.

I have the GlobalSat BC-307 and it works pretty good with my Axim. I only use it for in car navigation, so I am not sure about the suitability for finding a cache (for finding where to park on the other hand it is great). Using a PDA opens more mapping options than a handheld unit, but be ready to spend more cash on software/maps.

Considering the price of a basic stand-alone GPSr I would not risk my PDA while wandering thru the wilderness, I would suggest you get a stand-alone GPSr now and avoid replacing a crunched or waterlogged PDA later. My basic eTrex served me well for geocaching and more for 3 years.

One other option is to connect a stand-alone GPSr to your Axim when you want the PDA features. I will warn you in advance that the Axim is a bit fussy when doing this, but it can work. Of course for the price of the cables (and the hassle getting the GPS and Axim connected) you might be better off buying the CF GPS if you want the PDA functionality.

Hi All:

I am completely satisfied w/my Dell Axim/BC307 combo. I use Cachedragon, Navio, Mapsource, and other software for cache navigation and info. It's a great way to have it all in one package.

I'll say being careful with the equipment is a must as the Dell w/BC307 are not rugged, but, useing care and a ziplock baggie can go along way towards protecting the equipment.

I purchased a small clear plastic tackle box from Walmart and carved out the inside dividers to fit the Dell w/BC307 attached. Aside from a little poor-er (sp?) view of the screen, it provides a lot of protection.

After I locate the cache, I set the whole thing on the ground and make my logs.

Battery life can be a concern even with the low power chipset. I carry a small battery pack that plugs into the Dell. I can extend the battery life as long as needed. I can't imagine trekking in the woods, only to get turned around and lost, then to have the Dell battery die. (a compass and map should be in your pack). I have even tossed my Garmin II+ in the pack after getting a position logged of my starting point.

.....And....if you get lost with your PDA and the BC307 or like stops working, bring up one of those "ebooks" and have your self a good read (lol) until the "rescue St Bernard arrives with the rum keg under it's neck...lol

.....In ending ..... I have tsted the Dell w/BC307 along side the Garmin 176 C, the Dell combo was as sensitive, and maybe more-so in heavy forest canopy. So the performance is right up there..... and I had all of the cache info for caches within 100 miles...even the encrypted clues. !!

Enjoy Caching...and be safe.,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

I was looking at some waterproof cases for electronics at an outdoors store. Essentially they are like a really heavy duty ziplock bag. There was one that you could use the Axim/307 combo inside for about $20. This would help with any water incidents, but the combination would still be a little fragile in my opinion.