iQue 3600 Wont acquire

ShadowAce

I had my iQue reset twice today while trying to do som cacheing..

Saddly we had to return home twice to resync our data.

After the second attempt I went to garmin.com and found they have a software update for iQue 3600's and I downloaded then installed the update as instructed.. I am now waiting for garmin to return my call because they are not answering tech support on weekends.

I can no longer aquire any satellites. I let it sit outside for over 40 minutes with nothing. I tried hard resetting it three times.

I am now alittle frustrated that I have had this about 5 weeks and it has reset 3 times total, then went belly up.

Anyone else have an idea?

Just a follow up if anyone else has this.

I spent 52 minutes on the cell phone with Garmin today because I had to be outdoors to do all the tests they wanted. Long and short is 'lil Que has to go back tot he family hospital. They issued me an RMA number to send it home for a doctors visit..

Saddly I am going to get to do a business trip next month and now I fear no caching while away. icon_frown.gif

I did the release 2 update and could not acquire any sats. The next day (yesterday) I got one sat (#11) right in the middle of the sat screen with all the others grouped around the outside (horizon). Slowly more sats came in and would jump into it's proper spot. Later I hooked it up to the external antennae and everything is now fine.

Cough, Gasp from San Diego (I'm fine).

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

Hmmm...I had the same problem with my iQue re-setting. In fact, it happened at the NYC gathering a couple of weeks ago. I was glad to see that Garmin released a software update which I installed without a problem. I had not problem connecting to sats before or afterwards. One thing, I would like to recommend to anyone with a palm based (w/sd card capability) GPS set-up, is a program called BackUpMan. It's only $10.00 but it's well worth it! I got it at PalmGear.com but you can also get it directly from the author's website www.bitnbolts.com.

Hmmm...I had the same problem with my iQue re-setting. In fact, it happened at the NYC gathering a couple of weeks ago. I was glad to see that Garmin released a software update which I installed without a problem. I had no problem connecting to sats before or afterwards. One thing, I would like to recommend to anyone with a palm based (w/sd card capability) GPS set-up, is a program called BackUpMan. It's only $10.00 but it's well worth it! I got it at PalmGear.com but you can also get it directly from the author's website www.bitnbolts.com.

Unfortunately this is fairly common with the iQue units. I had mine sent in for not-aquiring, though it was BEFORE the update patch #2.

There is a LOT of info on this great unit, both positive and negative, at the PDAStreet.com forums. It's the most active community for the iQue that I've found.

BTW, when I sent mine in on a Wednesday, I got it back the following Friday (should have been Thursday but the morons at Airborne Express decided that 2 day due 10/30 meant they could deliver it on 10/31). So if your trip is next month, you should be good to go! Garmin is fast on turn-around. icon_smile.gif

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

Proud member of the Maryland Geocaching Society

Okay I spoke to soon! Here is the story on my lil iQue....

The other day I was taking off a fleece vest and after doing so, I reached for the iQue (which was in it's cradle) and ZAP!!! I got the shock of my life!

That was it for the GPS! Everything else worked fine but it would not acquire sats. After doing some research on pdastreet.com about the iQue (mrkablooey is correct about that site having a lot of info about this unit), I found that many iQue owners have been having the same problem.

Monday morning of this week, I called Garmin and they were extremely polite, helpful and courteous! They explained to me that this was a common problem with static and the GPS on the iQue. He said that there was nothing I could do to avoid this and that it would have happened eventually. He also suggested that I send it back to Garmin via FedEx, he gave me an RMA number and Garmin's FedEx account number and told me to ship it overnight at Garmin's expense. Oh yeah, and he also said that they would send me back a new unit within 4-6 days of receiving my unit and that it will have an improved static shield (to avoid this from happening again) and a free Garmin leather case.

So far, I'm extremely pleased with Garmin's customer support, hopefully that doesn't change.

I'll let you guys know when I receive the unit and how it works.

Take care...

Edited by RECS

I had been waiting 6 months for the ique's release. Fortunately for me the release happened at a time when i couldn't buy one, by the time I was ready for my purchase there were a number fo very bad reviews/complaints on the ique...

I ended up going with a pocket PC and a CF GPS card, both of which have been great the last couple of weeks.

So...

I recieved my repaired iQue on Monday, exactly a week to the day after I sent it in for repair. Accoding the the repair invoice, they reaplaced the GPS antenna.

I was very happy with the turn around time. The only disappointment I had was that they promised me a leather case which I didn't receive and they also promised that they would ship the unit back via Fedex overnight service. Instead they shipped it via Airborne Express 2 day service. I don't really need the case so it's not that big a deal but if they promise it, they should give it.

All in all, I'm very happy with Garmin's customer service and to have a working iQue back in my hands!.

Ron

You guys haven't seen anything!!!!

I live in Arizona - in other words, a very dry climate and with the expectant number of corresponding static shocks. I got my iQue in late August. That one lasted a couple of weeks and then was in for repair. When it failed the second time for not acquiring signals, I questioned whether they "had a problem".

Nothing to report at that time, but perhaps I had a lemon. They sent me a brand new unit. That one lasted a week.

The third unit I received was after they had discovered a so-called "bad batch of transistors" (Huh? I thought there were no real discrete components in electronic gizmos these days...)

The third unit failed just before Thanksgiving, and I'm now waiting patiently to see if they've finally found what the REAL problem is. I was told that "just last week" they found out about the static problem and have a fix for it. Garmin was holding up shipment of all new units at that time so they could retrofit them, and they had a fix for all units that could be repaired.

I love the thing, and I do say that the Garmin Tech Support staff has been super! But I'm sure getting tired of this lack of reliability..... Hopefully my 4th repair/replacement will be the cure.