Rino Group Purchase

Kones

I recently wrote this email to Garmin, I'm currently waiting for a response. Comments?

-Adam

Hello,

I'm contacting you in response to the expressed interest of hundreds if

not thousands of outdoorsmen. I am a geocacher and follow closely what is

happening in terms of the hobby in general as well as tools and

accessories to further said hobby.

The geocaching community is very interested in your latest combination

product, the Rino FRS/GRMS/GPS unit. We are very anxious to get our hands

on this device since, for many of us, it is the next logical step in GPS

and radio communication. However, most of us, if not all, currently own

at least one of the products you are combining.

After discussing with fellow geocachers, I am inquiring about a group

purchase request. Perhaps offering many Rinos at a reduced price would

allow a) newer cachers to get in on the action at a lower cost and :D

current cachers to dith their old gear in favor of something newer and

better.

Getting your latest technology out to the group that uses this

technology first and foremost at a reduced cost, would not only serve as

great public relations, it would also allow us to give our opinions on

thousands of user forums and chats. Given the reliability and

technological advances of previous hardware, this could only work in

Garmin's favor.

Please get back to me with a response to our inquiry as we are anxiously

awaiting. Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Adam

My 2 cents...

- Initial production may only be enough to cover those customers who live on the "bleeding edge" where cost isn't a consideration.

- Garmin is unlikely to undermined their retail distribution with a group discount.

- Shipping and handling may negate any savings.

- Garmin might be talked into a rebate, however. eg $10 off one $25 on two. Perhaps more for the better model.

All that being said, please let us know what Garmin says.

To: sales@garmin.com

Subject: Rino sales

As you are most likely aware, there is a lot of interest among geocachers across the US in the new Rino units.

For many of us this will mean the purchase of 1 or 2 additional GPS units. I personally own a Vista and plan to get 2 Rino 120 units.

Please discuss with marketing the possibility of a rebate program for the Rino units. e.g. $10 off one or $25 off two for the Rino 110. Perhaps more for the Rino 120.

Please also let me know if there is any possibility of a group purchase.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

Don't forget the $75 for the FCC license if you go for the 5 mile unit.

The 5 year license covers up to 5 (maybe 6 units).

This license covers your entire immediate family living in the same house. That would include your mother, father, in-laws, your brothers and sisters, and all 12 (or 25!) of your children. It does not cover your cousins (brother's and sister's children), even if they live in the same house.

So if you get a Rino please get your license! It's a bargin! icon_smile.gif

AtP

quote:

This license covers your entire immediate family living in the same house. That would include your mother, father, in-laws, your brothers and sisters, and all 12 (or 25!) of your children. It does not cover your cousins (brother's and sister's children), even if they live in the same house.

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by Atilla the Pun:

quote:

AtP

According to the person I spoke with at the FCC, anyone I hand one of my units to is covered under the license.

quote:

quote:

AtP

According to the person I spoke with at the FCC, anyone I hand one of my units to is covered under the license.

While I'm not looking forward to the headaches about taking on this project, it looks like I'm commited. icon_smile.gif

BTW... If they don't offer more than 10% off, I'm buying mine through REI!

To: "Sales"

Subject: RE: Rino sales

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I believe between now and release date I'll have at least 23 more purchases to add to my 2. icon_smile.gif Can we mix and match Rino 110 & 120 units? Perhaps other Garmin units? I assume that all units would be shipped to the same address. I have no intent to resell and would have all orders commited prior to purchase! While I would like all co-purchasers to be local to me, I may need to extend the offer to other Geocachers across the US. In that case, I would allow remote co-purchasers to pay for postage to ship to them.

I would most likely coordinate the purchase through the Georgia Geocachers Association.

Sales wrote:

Dear Sir,

Group purchases are for 25 or more units. Also you will have to sign documentation that they are not being purchased for resale. If this sounds like what you are interested in, please get back to me.

Thank you and best Regards,

Jim Johnson

[This message was edited by st_richardson on March 13, 2002 at 08:24 PM.]

While I'm not looking forward to the headaches about taking on this project, it looks like I'm commited. icon_smile.gif

BTW... If they don't offer more than 10% off, I'm buying mine through REI!

To: "Sales"

Subject: RE: Rino sales

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I believe between now and release date I'll have at least 23 more purchases to add to my 2. icon_smile.gif Can we mix and match Rino 110 & 120 units? Perhaps other Garmin units? I assume that all units would be shipped to the same address. I have no intent to resell and would have all orders commited prior to purchase! While I would like all co-purchasers to be local to me, I may need to extend the offer to other Geocachers across the US. In that case, I would allow remote co-purchasers to pay for postage to ship to them.

I would most likely coordinate the purchase through the Georgia Geocachers Association.

Sales wrote:

Dear Sir,

Group purchases are for 25 or more units. Also you will have to sign documentation that they are not being purchased for resale. If this sounds like what you are interested in, please get back to me.

Thank you and best Regards,

Jim Johnson

[This message was edited by st_richardson on March 13, 2002 at 08:24 PM.]

quote:

I would rather see Jeremy buy a boatload of Rinos and sell them at a slight markup to help support Geocaching.com. Members of Geocaching.com would of course get a discount. icon_smile.gif

AtP

Garmin requires you to sign documentation that they are not being purchased for resale.

If Jeremy wants to take on the group purchase project, I'll pass on my contact information to him.

quote:

I would rather see Jeremy buy a boatload of Rinos and sell them at a slight markup to help support Geocaching.com. Members of Geocaching.com would of course get a discount. icon_smile.gif

AtP

Garmin requires you to sign documentation that they are not being purchased for resale.

If Jeremy wants to take on the group purchase project, I'll pass on my contact information to him.

quote:

Your contact from the FCC was misinformed. The rules from Part 95A Section 95.1 read:

quote:

(a) The GMRS is a land mobile radio service available to persons for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members.

Anyone you had your radio to is covered under your license in emergency conditions. Since minimum penalties are confiscation of all equipment involved in the illegal activity and loss of all radio licenses I would advise a little more research (plus a little common sense) prior to acting on vague information. If anyone you hand your radio to can use it, why license at all?

Respectfully,

AtP

[This message was edited by Atilla the Pun on March 14, 2002 at 11:24 PM.]

I found this:

Please note: This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

at this link:

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/

Sounds like they have not been aproved yet by the FCC.

My home page about GPS units and information

5_Rubik.gif

I can get the Rinos at a VERY good price... a bulk discount, so to speak. I just received a very nice message from someone and I was advised that perhaps I shouldn't post the price I can get these things for as I might anger some other dealers. I can understand that and I don't want to step on any toes. Therefore, I will contact Kones directly and if he wants, I will set something up.

Mark

[This message was edited by markusby on April 06, 2002 at 07:53 PM.]

That's easily 7 units, but I doubt we can do anything until this whole FCC issue is dealt with. I don't want to place any orders until we know the units are out and shipping. I think just waiting until we know this is a reasonable plan of action. Comments?

-Adam

------

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

i think there is a way that you can get this done in your favor as well as the favor of geocaching.com. the front page of geocaching.com says that the commission on sales there goes right back to the development of the geocaching.com website, which is what jeremy needs right now. so there's your dealer/distributor that garmin is selling to. i'd say it's worth a shot to drop offroute.com an e-mail stating how many units you'd like to buy specifically for geocaching and see if they'd be willing to give you a group discount. hopefully that won't cut too much out of the commision going back to the site, but hey, profit is profit and i'm sure there's a neutral ground that can be reached where everybody makes out well in the end.