eTrex Legend, EasyGPS, and Win XP

topher72

I'm not sure I understand the situation, but I'll try to guess.

Using EasyGPS, you can't get your laptop to talk to your GPSr (a legend as well?) but your laptop does communicate properly with your friend's legend. Is that correct?

First thing to check, the communcation protocol on both GPS receivers. On the legend you can access this from Main Menu->Setup->Interface and it should be set to "Garmin" for uploading and downloading waypoints and such. For live tracking most (but not all) programs use NMEA in/out at 4800 baud.

If your GPS isn't a legend, then you need to make sure that it's interface is set properly (refer to your user manual), and also that EasyGPS is set to use the proper protocol for your brand of GPS.

-- Mitch

I tried to make it clear. Yes, I have a an eTrex Legend too. I have the settings correct on the GPS except for maybe the baud rate (don't have it here at work to check). The Laptop will upload/download with my friend's Legend using the same data cable, but will not communicate with mine. Defective GPS? Thanks. icon_frown.gif

I tried to make it clear. Yes, I have a an eTrex Legend too. I have the settings correct on the GPS except for maybe the baud rate (don't have it here at work to check). The Laptop will upload/download with my friend's Legend using the same data cable, but will not communicate with mine. Defective GPS? Thanks. icon_frown.gif

Well.. it's possible that you have a defective GPS, but I think it's early to jump to that conclusion.

First, there is a setting for the baud rate, then you almost certainly have it set to the wrong mode. The baud rate setting only appears if the interface is set to "NMEA". In order for EasyGPS to talk to the legend it needs to be in "garmin" mode, and then the baud rate is automatically determined and there is no way to select it.

-- Mitch

In addition to above suggestions make sure that EasyGPS is the only program open that may also communicate with your Legend. e.g. Mapsource.

Number 2, in Easy under the GPS menu tab try the "Test serial connection". It will check for any conflicts with the serial port and then attempt to connect to your unit.

If that fails then change to another com port. EasyGPS defaults to com 1 so try com 2. You can do this under file menu and preferences.

Good Luck, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

Well the next thing to look at is the com port properties. I remember having to play with them initially to get things to work. My current settings that work with my Garmin V are:

Bits per second: 9600Data bits: 8Parity: NoneStop Bits: 1Flow control: None

I don't have a clue what it all means but have a look and see.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"