COM1 and Vista....

I have a Vista, and the cable. I am totally unable to up/download data to/from the GPS into the computer. I tried various things, but nothing; it looks like as if it was dead. I used the easygps.com software, and the original Garmin eTrail Cd for trails around UK, but no sign of life with the two... I checked the computer and it says that the Com1 works... what else can that be. Please, who knows what can be, post an answer! THANKS

Your serial could be Com2 and the Modem Com1.

Your softare could have the wrong "Speed" set for your GPS, check different speeds. My GPS V is 9600.

DW pointed out the PDA thing (My PDA is USB so I haven't bumped into this)

Make sure your GPS is set to communicat how the program is thinking. For example if your GPS is set to NEMA and your software thinks it should be speaking Garmin to the GPS they won't communicate.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I'll second Desert Warrior on the PDA as the cause. My Pocket PC's synchronization program lead to my GPS headache after I formatted my hard drive and reloaded everything. The sync program's default settings used Com1 even though I was using the USB port. Hope that works.

I would agree with Deseret_Warrior and SteveOr my boss uses a Garmin and he has a Palm PDA and if the sync program is open you will get nada with they system showing it working. Not sure about everthing everyone else said but I would check this first and then check settings on the GPS and comp. If all else fails users manual works wonders.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif