Fugawi Map Software

DadONine

Hey NonGeoMuggles,

I while back I was fishing for map software to use with my Palm, and someone suggested Fugawi. I picked up a copy, and it is way cool.

Install it on your PC, and to download to your Palm (or Pocket PC), just select an area, then click on "Send to PDA". Next time you sync, it's sent to your PDA. I bought a 128MB memory card, and put all my maps there. Then I use my Magellan 315-to-Palm cable to see where I'm at.

The cool thing is when you reach the edge of a map you've downloaded, it looks for another map that covers the area you have moved into.

BTW, don't buy it from Amazon. I did, and it ended up being an old version that didn't have PDA support. I was able to fix it same day with the very helpful staff of Fugawi, but it cost me $39.00, so I ended up paying about the same as if I'd ordered it straight from them.

Anyway, very cool software.

DadONine

Who is awaiting his free NG Topo software from localhikes.com icon_cool.gif

Actually about three years ago one of their techs fessed up about the name ... yes it is base on the old "from the deepest darkest jungles comes the cry of the lost tribe ..." ... well you know the rest.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Actually about three years ago one of their techs 'fessed up about the name ... yes it is base on the old "from the deepest darkest jungles comes the cry of the lost tribe ..." ... well you know the rest.

Co-founder of the _"NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"_

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

I knew it sounded familiar. The cry had been heard a few times in upper Wisconsin during deer hunting season when I was a wee lad....LOL!

"Sometimes you gotta look like an *** to get that cache!"...huntforit

"And I just thought it was a Japanese firm located in Canada."

You learn something new everyday in these forums...LOL

"Sometimes you gotta look like an *** to get that cache!"...huntforit

quote:
Originally posted by DadONine:

I did, and it ended up being an old version that didn't have PDA support. I was able to fix it same day with the very helpful staff of Fugawi, but it cost me $39.00, so I ended up paying about the same as if I'd ordered it straight from them.

Call them back and point out that on their upgrade web pageit says the following:

''Palm upgrade is free if Fugawi was purchased after September 1, 2001.''

I bought an old version from Radio Shack in Canada last December and was able to get the Palm function activated for free.

It is a neat program and even works with only 2MB on my m100. I'm jealous of your 132MB frog.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

Ah! Another excuse to tell the story of how the mapmaking company Fugawi got its name and product inspiration.

It all started in the 1800's with the great, grand uncle of the founder who was the Indian cheiftain of the Fugawis out of the Northwest Territory of Canada. One day a great storm arose while the chief was leading his tribe through strange and uncharted territory. For interminable time they wandered through "white death" never knowing if they would survive. But the chief was stalwart and gave great spiritual support to his people and had a natural affinity to chart a safe, if unknown course. Finally after five horrendous days, there was a break in the terrible storm. The chief spied another tribe settled and living just beyond the rise and approached them with great anticipation. He seeked out the other chief, raised his palm in friendly greeting and spoke, "We're the Fugawi."

Or so the story's told! icon_wink.gif

Alan

Call them back and point out that on their upgrade http://www.fugawi.com/docs/suppupgrades.htmlit says the following:

''Palm upgrade is free if Fugawi was purchased after September 1, 2001.''

I bought an old version from Radio Shack in Canada last December and was able to get the Palm function activated for free.

It is a neat program and even works with only 2MB on my m100. I'm jealous of your 132MB frog.gif

http://members.shaw.ca/pdops/

I tried that. Two things worked against me though: It was a REALLY old version, and I bought it from someone who is NOT an authorized reseller.

I begged. I pleaded. I sacrificed my dignity. But they still charged me the lousy $39.00. Frankly, in the whole scheme of things, it's no biggie. Do I wish I could have gotten it for free? Well, yeah. But I have lost not one iota of sleep over it.

Oh, and it's 136 MB (started with 8MB). And don't you forget it. icon_wink.gif

DadONine

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

But -- How good are the maps themselves? And can it tarnfer waypoints/routes directly to and from a Magellan GPS?

---

_LDR._

The software comes with street maps of the US and Canada (at least when bought in Canada it does) which are OK. Like Ozi it can be used with a variety of digital map formats and packages which are purchased separately. You can also scan your own maps and manually calibrate them with the program.

It will up/download waypoints, routes and tracks.

PDOP's GPS Pages