Combining onroad and offroad?

dzavetsky

Am about to take a vacation trip....so I will have all the maps I need loaded up....

Once I get to my destination, quite a bit of travel will be done "offroad", on the beach and beach backroads (unmapped)....I want to keep these "trails" and use them whilst on the beach/backroads....I would like to save these trails as routes so that I can backtrace my route.....also, would like to see a visual representation of these trails onscreen.....is this possible while still having the onroad maps loaded up?? Is it possible to download the offroad info to my laptop??

My intention was to have tried this locally by now, but time is running short....So I may end up learning once I get there... icon_frown.gif

Any hints/tips??

Thanks in advance all...

DZ

What GPS and PC software do you have?

Assuming you have a mapping GPS with it's associate manufacturer's maping software and a pc to GPS cable, you can normally transfer the tracks to the PC. Then you can create a route from the track on the screen.

Most GPS's allow you to see the breadcrumb trail of the track you just created on the unit so you can backtrac or redo the trail.

You ca also create waypoints at keypoints along the way the first time you go through. The connect them afterwards into a route.

Good luck

Alan

I think virtually all modern units have a special mechanism for backtracking, too.

On my Garmin Vista, it works like this:

Go somewhere.

When you've reached some destination, save the track in the GPS.

At a later time, you can use the Trackback function to automatically create a temporary route along the track. Then follow the route.

Magellan units can do the same, but they implement it differently.

Anders

When you want to go "off-road", it's best to turn the "lock-on-road" feature off. To do this, on the map screen, press Menu->Setup Map and on the map setup screen, go down to the "Lock On Road" entry and set it to "OFF". You can turn it back on the same way, or the next time you calculate an on-road route (goto by fastest or shortest route), the lock-on-road feature will be re-enabled automatically.

-- Pneumatic

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

When you want to go "off-road", it's best to turn the "lock-on-road" feature off. To do this, on the map screen, press Menu->Setup Map and on the map setup screen, go down to the "Lock On Road" entry and set it to "OFF". You can turn it back on the same way, or the next time you calculate an on-road route (goto by fastest or shortest route), the lock-on-road feature will be re-enabled automatically.

I'm not sure what you are describing here - what unit are you referring to?

On my GPS V, I select Find and the waypoint, then select Fastest route. It maps a route (on road) to the location. When I get to the location, I select find and the waypoint and then Off Road and it shows me the direction and distance to the waypoint. I don't need to change any settings.

quote:
Originally posted by Team DEMP:

On my GPS V, I select Find and the waypoint, then select Fastest route. It maps a route (on road) to the location. When I get to the location, I select find and the waypoint and then Off Road and it shows me the direction and distance to the waypoint. I don't need to change any settings.

Actually you are right and wrong. When you do an "offroad" find your unit (with latest firmware version) will remain in the "lock-on road" option. This will not make any difference in the V's operation unless you are hiking off-road quite near to a road in which case it will then try to lock-on the road while you are walking the trail. You can turn it off if necessary by accessing the set-up map menu from your map screen.

One of the earlier firmware versions (not first) corrected this problem and then it reverted back again with a subsequent upgrade. Go figure!

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

Am about to take a vacation trip....so I will have all the maps I need loaded up....

Once I get to my destination, quite a bit of travel will be done "offroad", on the beach and beach backroads (unmapped)....I want to keep these "trails" and use them whilst on the beach/backroads....I would like to save these trails as routes so that I can backtrace my route.....also, would like to see a visual representation of these trails onscreen.....is this possible while still having the onroad maps loaded up?? Is it possible to download the offroad info to my laptop??

My intention was to have tried this locally by now, but time is running short....So I may end up learning once I get there... icon_frown.gif

Any hints/tips??

Thanks in advance all...

DZ

The GPS V has a nice little feature available when you save a track. It allows you to choose to have the saved track display on the screen so whenever you are back in that area you will see it displayed in a darker, broader track then the original live faint lines. Unfortunately you are only allowed I think 10 saved tracks so you have to be selective on which to save.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"