Love my New Magellan Meridian Platinum

After many months of researching GPSRs and trying to make a decision on which unit to buy; I bought a MeriPlatinum. I have spare SD memory cards from my digital camcorder and that weighed heavily in my decision. I figured a 2Mb base map would be pretty weak and opted for the 16Mb map in the MeriPlatinum along with the digital compass and barometer. I've used it to find two geocaches so far. I'm more than impressed with it. I LOVE it! I'm new to geocaching and GPSRs so I may be easily seduced by the technology and perhaps not the features the unit has or lacks. Connecting it to my PC was easy for uploading and downloading waypoints via the ExpertGPS software. The unit is very accurate, though I have yet to use it with anything but the base map. I give this device a hearty thumbs up. Bought it at REI for 350 dollars. Another place which I will not name had it for 399 dollars. I'm not impressed with the canvas case, so if anyone is contemplating buying one....DON'T! You can do better buying a digital camera case or bag. I bought the auto power cable. The MeriPlatinum comes with the data cable for connecting to a PC. The manual is thick because it is printed in several languages. The real manual is on the included CD-ROM, so you will need access to a computer to read it. Amazon has the Topo USA CD-ROM for 78 dollars. I need to order it this week.

I, too, am very happy with my MeriPlat. I paid under $250 for it at www.shopharmony.com.

I agree with the notes on the case...it really isn't very good. I have used a camera case and I suggest that to others. The Plat has no problem keeping a sat lock in the case on my belt while walking thru fairly dense forest. It even kept a lock while in the armrest console of my car!

One thing to be aware of...SOME of the Meridians have developed "blue spots" on the screen that can only be seen with the backlight on (looks like a finger print or smear). Some sort of contamination on the backlight assembly during production. Magellan is repairing these units with a redesigned light. NOT ALL UNITS WILL DEVELOP THIS PROBLEM...but if you never turn on your backlight, you might not even know you have it. Contact Magellan tech support if you have this problem.

Even with this minor problem, I would still recommend the Meridian highly.

homer.gif

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

SOME of the Meridians have developed "blue spots" on the screen that can only be seen with the backlight on (looks like a finger print or smear). Some sort of contamination on the backlight assembly during production. Magellan is repairing these units with a redesigned light.

Hmmm, so this is a known fault? I thought it was something I did. When I have my backlight on, I can see a very slight discoloration on the screen in a couple of spots... is that what it looks like?

What is Magellan doing about it? Do I have to send my unit in to them to be repaired?

Jamie

Jamie-

My "spot" looks like a blue fingerprint on the lower right side of the screen. It can ONLY be seen when the light is on, otherwise the unit looks normal. It is not very dark...I can still make out the info on the screen through the spot. I'll try to get a photo of it this evening at home.

Go to Magellan's web site and fill out a service request here

My unit is very new, so it is under warranty, but they never asked me for proof of purchase date. I was told to wait until they had the "re-designed" components in stock, and they just recently e-mailed me to tell me they were ready. I only waited about a week. I will be shipping them my unit after the upcoming weekend. They said they would return ship a replacement unit as soon as mine is received. I do not know if it will be new or "re-manufactured", but I am guessing rebuilt.

I have read on the forums in the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group that Magellan was sending "gifts" with the replacement units as thanks for patience with the problem.

homer.gif

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."

[This message was edited by Stunod on October 09, 2002 at 09:40 AM.]

I bought a Platinum and the first one I had to return because it lost all info for tempature and the barometer. When I got my second one the compass was completley backwards. (even after calibartion.) North pointed south and south pointed north.

3rd time was the charm. Everything working fine. I really like the unit and even with the problems. I highly recommend it.

Well, I just got my Meridian Platinum from the "Brown Truck" this morning....man is it ever an upgrade from my Magellan Tracker. I have been using the Tracker for SAR and Geocaching for the last few years and aside from no map display, or being told how many feet it was to the cache, I can't really say anything bad about the "old" unit.....

But this Platinum is a huge improvement...I'm getting between 7 and 8 sat locks in my gear/computer room, with it sitting on my desk..... the 18 MB base map surprised me with the information it had for my rural area, not to mention the whole US......and the 32MB upgrade SD card with Mapsend Topo of Northern CA (custom map section) installed, only took up a little over 8MB.

I have only spent a couple hours fiddling with it, playing with some caches near my house and so far I'm very happy ....The total cost for the Platinum, Mapsend Topo program and the 32MB storage card was $371.00, including shipping....and I still get the $50.00 rebate! icon_biggrin.gif

Time will tell if it will take the beating that my old Tracker took.........

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

Well, I just got my Meridian Platinum from the "Brown Truck" this morning....man is it ever an upgrade from my Magellan Tracker. I have been using the Tracker for SAR and Geocaching for the last few years and aside from no map display, or being told how many feet it was to the cache, I can't really say anything bad about the "old" unit.....

But this Platinum is a huge improvement...I'm getting between 7 and 8 sat locks in my gear/computer room, with it sitting on my desk..... the 18 MB base map surprised me with the information it had for my rural area, not to mention the whole US......and the 32MB upgrade SD card with Mapsend Topo of Northern CA (custom map section) installed, only took up a little over 8MB.

I have only spent a couple hours fiddling with it, playing with some caches near my house and so far I'm very happy ....The total cost for the Platinum, Mapsend Topo program and the 32MB storage card was $371.00, including shipping....and I still get the $50.00 rebate! icon_biggrin.gif

Time will tell if it will take the beating that my old Tracker took.........

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....