GPSR-Project GeoFishe

Firefishe

UPDATE, SATURDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2002, 3PM EST

MICHIGAN, USA

--

The above subject line will be the *Standard* subject heading for this thread from now on.

NOTE: This thread is a continuation of the many posts I have received to my requests for opinions and information regarding what others want in a new type of GPS Receiver. My continued thanks for those who have been following these posts regularly, or who have just happened by.

Okay...here's the scoop:

I'm calling this endeavor "Project GeoFishe." I figure I'd combine my forum handle of "Firefishe" and "Geography"--big surprise, eh? icon_wink.gif LOL

Here is an update as to what this project is all about:

1. The design, development, and production and marketing of a new gps receiver, one with a large color screen, possibly touch-sensitive, high-resolution, and minimal power consumption.

2. The allowance of standardly available memory cartridges for map and image storage, including the possibility of the CompactFlash based MicroDrives (IBM).

3. The ability to handle and view Vector, Raster, and other types of commonly used image file formats utilized in modern digital cartography.

4. The ability to auto-route.

5. The ability for third-party vendors to port their products to the GPSR, via a secure-cartridge system. This would allow for the end-user to use the mapping product of their own choice, depending on what vendors would support such a move.

6. A built-in Geocaching Database and Logging system. This thing *is* being designed in the Geocaching Forums, fer cryin' out loud! My way of giving back to the Community icon_smile.gif!

7. The usual on-board array of Altimeter, Barometer, Active Compass, and Dead-Reckoning (an idea based on a product from SigTech Navigation in Australia) system.

8. The usual Waypoint and Route storage, as well as user-selectable auto-routing.

9. (Maybe) An expansion port for various types of Outdoor Information Gathering Devices (Windspeed, Temperature, Dew Point, Wet Bulb, etc.)

10. (Maybe) Wireless interconnectivity between GPSR and Computer.

11* Other things as may be warranted.

Well, that's the gist of it. I'm primarily repeating it here to give a memory jog to those following this post, and to those who may have just arrived.

So just where is Project GeoFishe in the "real world?" Well, it's incubating. Development is still on the side of slow, primarily due to the Christmas holidays, as well as my having contracted a cold. Blasted Viruses. *Sigh* If only the human body ran Linux icon_wink.gif hee.

I'm also seeking assistance for other relevant matters pertaining to GPS Receiver Production.

I'll post the URL when the website is up and running. Most, if not all, relevant information will be moved to the site, with the occasional request for new ideas posted here. I'll also ask the relevant people--the one's who keep these forums going icon_wink.gif--if they want a discount for geocachers when this thing is ready for marketing.

The Geocaching Community At-Large (GCA-L) has been largely responsible for these ideas that keep popping into my head, serving as the primary conduit of inspiration, perspiration, and lunacy that has been driving my brain cells, of late. icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't be able to suggest these things without all of you pulling for me. Pulling for me with suggestions, pulling for me with criticisms, and pulling my leg. icon_wink.gif LOL This last one is largely why I stay with this whole geocaching thing. Let's face it, we all love high-tech treasure hunting, outdoor activities, and weird techno and non-techno, 'cache-related humor.

What a bunch we are! The Best! as far as I am concerned. Thanks again, Jeremy & Co., for giving me and the rest a new addiction---I mean, *Purpose* [silly me ;O)]---and a great outdoor pasttime! It has certainly translated into a lot of fun for me, at least. Oh, got my 10th find the other night...I'm workin' on it! icon_wink.gif

I leave all of you now with my warmest regards for a delightful new year!

Cache On!

Warm regards,

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

Traverse City, Michigan

These recent postings are of relevance:

The One Smart GPS Company...

Search Results for firefishe

196939_600.gif

Quite an old thread, but one I am interested in. I have been getting more and more dissatisfied with my Merigold user interface. Otherwise I think it is a great unit. I don't care for some of the ways I have to enter a GOTO or the extreme slowness of the map updates and I would love to be able to use it in the car with a larger display.

At the same time I am an electrical engineer and am starting a project using a GPS module. These things are minute, about the size of a US Quarter. Add an antenna and an RS-232 chip and you can get NMEA outputs to any PC. Instead add the embedded CPU of your choice along with a GB flash chip, LCD and battery and you have a handheld GPSr for caching.

To me the hard part is the software, especially the maps. I have no idea how to get access to a useful map database that can be used with a unit like this.

Where is the GPSR-Project GeoFishe as this time?