Garmin Map76 - need info and opinons

Okay, I'm about to go out of my mind deciding between the Meriplat and eTrex Legend. Been comparing them in the woods, in the car, and wherever. On the one hand, generally the Meriplat has better reception, shows my heading more quickly...and on the other hand the eTrex has better tracking functions and does not average out the tracks (the Magellans so far have been annoying me by changing every curved track into a series of straights connected by angles). I'm hoping that the Map76 series (either the regular or "S") will have the antenna performance of the Meriplats by dint of larger size as well as being a quad helix (although I admit that both designs can work well) but use the tracking algorithms similar to the eTrex series. What knowledge and experience can Map76 users shed on this subject?

I have been using a 76S for some time know and love the thing.

I used it on a float down the San Juan River and it kept a lock even in the steepest canyons.

It is a bit of a pain to have to hold the unit in two different orientations (up for Sats, flat for compass). There are a couple of operational "gottchas", such as trying to use WAAS while in Battery Saver mode, but on a scale of 1 -> 10, I give it a solid 9

Any specific questions?

I was looking for info such as whether or not the reception in tree cover is as good as the Meridian Series GPS units, and if the tracking/routing is similar in quality to the eTrex series GPS units, any experience users have had vs. the other units I have looked at (eTrex Vista/Legend series, and Magellan Meridian series).

I have used a 76MapS for my last 1000 finds and a Vista for the previous 2000. In my experience the 76MapS does keep the lock better than the Vista. (I can't comment in comparison to Meridian as I have not used one myself however when I have been with Meridian users it seems we have comparable sat locks) The track logs are clear, I did not notice any difference from those in Vista (except not as many blank spots when losing sat lock)

I had a MAP76 until the 76S came out and since April of 02 I have used my 76S at work and play and absolutely love it. The sat lock is constant and I have NEVER lost sats under tree cover. Everyone likes different units for different reasons but IMHO you can't go wrong getting a 76S. I don't know what I will buy to replace this unit when the time comes. It will have to be one heck of a unit. Good luck in your decision.

I have been using the 76S for about a year. No problems and great reception. I liked the higher larger screen than the Legend and SportTrak Pro. I have just started using an external Mighty Mouse2 antenna. This looks like it will work great in heavy tree cover. I tested the Legend, Sportrak and 76s before making my decision they all were close on performance. It became more of a personal preference on the functionality and looks of the units.

Have fun with which ever one you decide on!

Spange & Crew

quote:
Originally posted by Raouljan:

I have been using a 76S for some time know and love the thing.

I used it on a float down the San Juan River and it kept a lock even in the steepest canyons.

It is a bit of a pain to have to hold the unit in two different orientations (up for Sats, flat for compass). There are a couple of operational "gottchas", such as trying to use WAAS while in Battery Saver mode, but on a scale of 1 -> 10, I give it a solid 9

Any specific questions?

What is the "gotcha" regarding using Battery Saver mode wiht WAAS on?

It is nothing. You can not be in battery saver mode and use WAAS because WAAS requires using all your resources. I never use battery saver mode anyway.

I have a Map76 and love it. Yes, nice tracking. Good reception in cover, BUT any unit can and will lose it sometimes under tree cover. I don't see a lot of benefit with the 'S' except more memory, which would be good.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I had an etrex yellow base model as a starter.

I went out to find a cache under dense tree

cover and kept losing my sats...had to turn back. About a month passed and I bought the 76s

and went to the same area, the same route. The

76s DID LOSE a lock while finding the cache but

managed to get it back within about 15 to 30 secs while I passed under moderate tree cover.

Took me right to the cache. Hope this helps.

Happy caching.

quote:
psyopwak said:

I had an etrex yellow base model as a starter.

I went out to find a cache under dense tree

cover and kept losing my sats...had to turn back. About a month passed and I bought the 76s

and went to the same area, the same route.

Trying to compare units at different times doesn't necessarily mean anything. Changes in satellite geometry often play into the equation more than anything else. It's really noticable on out and back hikes sometimes. One way, you might have perfect reception the whole way. traveling through the same area on the same trail a few hours later you sometimes can't get a good fix at all.