Problem with My Magellan Sportrak Map

I hoping someone can help me. Today while I was out using my gps I looked down at it and noticed that it went back to the Magellan startup screen. It didn't matter what I did it would not change screens. The only way for me to shut it down was to remove the batteries. when i restarted it came up to the start up screen and stayed there. I tried to reinstall the firmware but since it would not goto another screen it was never able to reinstall. I then tried using the trick of holding the Menu key while powering on. Nothing. it just came up to the startup screen. I also noticed that after I turn it on that every few seconds the screen will flash and the startup screen comes up again. I looked at Magellans web site, but they had nothing that helpful. I am going to leave the batteries out overnight and try it again tomarrow. Any help that anyone could give would be great. Thanks. Dennis

call their 800 number for service. If they can't fix it stay on the line to get a return authorization. drop it in the mail and in about a week you should get it back with some extra goodies (P-C cable, carry case?)I did. I've heard that at least one person complained enough that magellan paid postage both ways for them.

Possibly an error in the map data downloaded, or the firmware was curropted. To redo the firmware hold the goto and nave button down then press power. You should see a box wit "00" in it. Chaqnge that to 99 and that should be software upload mode, then try to do the software (IF you cant get it come back and I will detail how to set magup to do an exsport (sp) mode upload). Code 97 should delete the map data (should, but I really have no idea).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I tried holding down the Nav and Goto button at Power up. the screen with 00 came up but there was no way for me to change the numbers. none of the buttons would work.

Just a little info. this morning, after taking the batteries out overnight, I started it back up. it actually started to work fine i was able to start to go throught the initialization steps, but when I was scrolliing down through the states list it just went back to the Magellan startup screen. STRANGE. I am not sure but i may have to call Magellan tomarrow.

If you may know of anything else to try till then i am game.

Thanks for the help.

It really sucks. this weekend, we had some great weather and I wanted to go caching.

It is starting to sound like something your going to have to call magellan about. But you may want to try the esc button and goto button while you turn it on, this should put it into the software upload mode automaticaly. Instead of removing the batteries you can hit goto,esc, and enter at the same time and it sould shut it off.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Well I think I am going to have to call Magellan.

I held the esc and goto button when i powered up and it went to the Burn in Screen????

The funny thing is when I also pressed the ESC, Goto & Enter it also took me to the Burn in Screen. I have not been sucessful in turning it off by any other means other than removing the batteries.

I am really curious what caused this problem to begin with?

I will call Magellan tomarrow. If they give me any helpful hints that work I will post a Letter here for others to use.

Thanks Wyatt and others for trying your best in helping me with my problem.

Try holding down the Nav & Menu butons, then PWR up again....

It may take quite a few tries to get it just right...The Maggies are picky about registering multiple keypresses at once.

Where did you see to use the GOTO ESC & PWR buttons? those keypresses are for the Meridian series, not the ST's.

The power off functions and hidden menu codes are different between ST's & Meridians.

I had this exact thing happen to me last week when I pulled my SD card out to copy files off of it. I put it back in, and the next day, my Merigreen would would stay on for about 5 secs, then pwr off.

I cleared all memory, using Enter & MENU & PWR keys. Turned it on after, and initialised it, and it works fine again.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

Well I called Magellan today.

They told me how to put the gps into software upload mode. I was able to upload the software to the gps. But when I restarted it, the same story.

They gave me return authorization number and said that it will take up to 2 weeks to fix and return it to me.

They sounded a little stumped when I could upload the software but still could not get past the start up screen.

I am curious if they fix it or just send a new on out once they determine there is a valid problem. I mean to a company like Magellan (Thales) what is $179.00. It would probably cost them more having a technician try and repair it.

I guess I will find out when they return it to me.

Thanks again for all the helpful hints.

quote:
Originally posted by mustanglx:

I am curious if they fix it or just send a new on out once they determine there is a valid problem. ... It would probably cost them more having a technician try and repair it.

For the very reason you cited, and from personal experience, I expect you'll get a complete new unit, boxed with accesories.

I've had that happen TWICE with Magellan.

One might question why I keep buying Magellan products knowing the likelihood of warranty problems -- but I make SO much money selling those spare data cables on eBay icon_rolleyes.gif

The reason that i ended up buying a Megallan is that i found a great deal at Amazon.com.

I also got a chance to see a Garmin Etrax before i bought my Sportrak. The Garmins are so tiny. Ok they fit in your pocket nice but even with 20/20 vision it was hard to read the screen.

I also talked to several friends who have Megallans and they love them and never had a single problem.

This happens to me with everything I buy. I get a new toy and just when I am starting to have fun I have to send my new toy back to get fixed. It's just not fair icon_frown.gif

Hey if they send me a new gps with all the accesories, would you like to buy a data cable? icon_biggrin.gif

Just curious, the two times that you had to send yours back, were they for the same problem or were they two different problems?

quote:
the two times that you had to send yours back, were they for the same problem or were they two different problems?
Nope, different problems. I tend to buy & swap a lot of toys though, so I'm probably more likely to hit the problems than someone who just buys one toll and sticks with it.

Problems I've had:

1) I had a Map330 with a blotchy screen.

2) I had a MeriGold that would sporadically turn itself off and need battery removal before it would power up again.

Both were common problems others have had. These days I'm using a SporTrak Pro, and I'm crossing my fingers to see if I end up with the infamous "case cracks."

quote:
...would you like to buy a data cable?
Nah, but if anyone has a spare car/power cable, I could use one of those. I typically don't use one but just having it might come in handy. icon_smile.gif