Garmin Legend - Serial port problems

FBS67

Has anyone else in the world had problems getting the serial port to open using com 1? Both EasyGPS and the Garmin map software seem unable to accomplish this task even after changing the com from 1 to 3. Can't do that in the EasyGPS settings. Bad cable, connections, PC settings, what? About to pack it all up and ship it back to Garmin. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by FirebirdSteve67:

Both EasyGPS and the Garmin map software seem unable to accomplish this task even after changing the com from 1 to 3.

In some machines COM1 and COM3 use the same IRQ so they can't be used at the same time. Is something on a COM port? Serial mouse? PDA software (such as HotSync) taking up a port?

I tested my Garmin using a Windows program called HyperTerminal.

At first I thought I was plugged into COM1, and I set up a HyperTerminal session to read that port. When that didn't work I tried COM2 for the heck of it, and it started dumping out numbers once per second. I knew then that the Garmin was OK and *I* was the dummy.

Actually, if I had been the one to build the machine, I would have known but I just assumed. Wrongly! icon_wink.gif

Good luck, and hope that helps in some small way...

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

Steve,

What error messages are you getting? I just did some testing and found if I tried the wrong com port both software packages gave an error message. The message were kind of vague. When I address the right com port but had the garmin configuared wrong the Garmin map software just went to never never land. No message, nothing, it just sat there. Not sure what happend with EasyGPS because my system crashed while test it! bad_boy_a.gif Sooo, I'll look more at that. If your still haveing trouble you can contact me on yahoo instant messaging by using clffhngr@yahoo.com

"It's a dull mind that spells a word one way"

To all responders:

Thanks for the info! I found the problem while trying to install a data packet program for my Nextel phone in preparation for our CO trip. As you tell by the logs, I got it working by the helps published with the packet program, at least for the laptop, anyway. ActiveSync was the problem program. However, DaisyChain's desktop still has Coms 1,2, & 4 tied up and I can;t find what has 1 tied up. Any more clues? Thanks.

Any resident software that stays open on your start bar, like Activesync or Palm Pilot Hot sync or any other program that wants to find a com port link to something will have a conflict with another program that is searching for a com port to access. In a nutshell, try to deactivate ALL programs that use a com port, then activate only the one program to access your GPS. You might find this works. It did for me.